• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Back to my mbuna roots

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
A little over a year ago, I decided to take on the challenge of starting a tropheus tank. I had a 5' 120 gallon that seemed well suited for them. I got 24 juvies, started them off in a 28g bowfront and the fun started there...

Fast forward to about a month ago, and I decided to give up the fight on both tropheus and demasoni. I went through at least 40 tropheus and 20 demasoni before realizing I didn't have the patience or budget to keep it going. So I decided to go back to something I knew and liked, and start a new mbuna tank. For those of you saying, 'Well demasoni are mbuna," I realize that, but they pose a lot of the same challenges that maintaining a successful tropheus colony can be.

Dave's recent group buy for delivery to Aquamania seemed like the perfect opportunity to get some new, quality stock. After doing some research and emailing back and forth with Dave, I settled on the following fish:

Metriaclima sp. 'Msobo' Magunga
Pseudotropheus sp. 'Polit' Lion's Cove

I wanted to add a few more species, so I found 2 others I liked that might seem to work well:

Pseudotropheus Acei "yellow-tail" (auction pickup through jefft)
Melanochromis auratus (I know I might catch flack for these)

There are still a few tropheus left, 1 demasoni I couldn't catch, a reverse trio of Vics, and 2 leleupi that all seem to be getting along well. Its a bright and colorful tank with a lot of action, so I'm looking forward to watching the fish mature. Tank is PFS with 2 big piles of rocks on opposite ends of the tank, pretty simple design. I'll try to post some pictures once I have a chance to take some quality time.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, you might catch flack for the Auratus, but I've always wanted to set up a tank of those! I see them in the store and just love the way they look! But, I know I can't throw just a few in with the rest of my mbuna....so I've stayed away..for now.

They're not a beginner's Mbuna....but then...you're not a beginner so go for it!

Please let me live vicariously through yours!!! I want pics!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, you might catch flack for the Auratus, but I've always wanted to set up a tank of those! I see them in the store and just love the way they look! But, I know I can't throw just a few in with the rest of my mbuna....so I've stayed away..for now.

They're not a beginner's Mbuna....but then...you're not a beginner so go for it!

Please let me live vicariously through yours!!! I want pics!
I've kept auratus before, and I really like them. They can be evil to each other, but aren't generally overly mean to other fish if they're kept in proper stocking densities. I think a lot of the horror stories come from people who keep a single male, or pair/trio. I think if you keep 8 or more (I currently have 9 and plan to add some albinos) in a large, well-scaped tank with other stout fish, it can work out fine. They also breed frequently, likely one of the reasons why the box stores carry them. I used to always see females with big mouthfuls, but getting rid of fry can be tough since they're often perceived as evil, and as you said, not for beginners.

The pics I have are pretty bad, and fish aren't very visible since most are under 2", but I'll try to take more soon, or just post what i have. I just prefer to post good pics when possible (which is hard for me, even with a new camera).

greekz

Members
I like the msobos I have 2 adult males for couple years now. They are very active fish and like to fight a lot. They fight one another and the blue dolphines.

Malawimania

Members
Pseudotropheus sp. 'Polit' Lion's Cove are super cool I was thinking about getting some from Dave but you beat me to it. Hopefully you get some spawns so I can buy some fry from you.

-Steve

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've also kept auratus. The key is lots and lots of females and a single male.

I had a really colorful community of them + kenyi (lombardoi) in a 55g back in the day. It's all about overcrowding and sex ratios (and water changes)...

Matt

WendyFish

Members
Cool! I just got some msobos from Dave, too. They all were orange when they came, but a few have started changing colors. They got a little blue face mask and then the body starts darkening. I'm trying to take pics every few days as they color up.

I'll be interested to hear about the temperament of yours. Mine are rambunctious, rougher on non conspecific tank mates than any other fish I've had.

daninmd

Members
very exciting. i have had mbuna for many years now, alternating between single and multiple tanks. we are getting ready to move in a few months and already planning out my next tank. planning on going big, minimum 180 gallon tank, but most likely an 8 foot tank. not sure how i want to stock though, part of the fun, eh? sounds like a great mix in your tank! cant go wrong with a bunch of mbuna in a 5 foot tank, should be lots of color and movement. good luck!