• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Available for Delivery to CCA BBQ (8/10)

blkmjk

Members
Rio Choluteca cons are a nice feisty one. Females have really red bellies. How many would you like?

Also, how many neets?

You've got some gratis fish coming your way ;)

Here are pics of the Rio Choluteca con parents

Matt

They look cool! I don't remember where I saw them but I think it was your house orange/ yellow cons? Do you have any thing that resembles that description? I am willing to try any convict you think will have enough attitude to not get pushed around. So I don't think hrps will work at all even though they are beautiful. I will be putting some neets in at least my two six foot tanks any size group your willing to part with is cool with me but I was thinking 4 or so? Im sure most of these will be going in grow out tanks. Until they put on size. But IM excited for this. Pm me on Friday so I can confirm for Saturday pickup. Thanks again.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

ErnieG

Members
Sorry that last part should be (aequiden species). I'm using my kindle fire and some words are popping up through spell check.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Drew: The yellow/orange ones you are talking about are the Rio Cabayo siquia. Hands down, these are the meanest convict I have ever seen. I only have a big male left, but he is responsible for the death of at least a half dozen fish, including my female. Definitely get some, but be prepared to deal with the aggression issues as you grow them out.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My Choluteca are from Ken Davis, who collected their parents in Honduras.

I think the ones you put in the auction (now Jon's) were some of the fry from mine that I put in a club auction some time ago. They weren't labeled with variant but appear to be Choluteca.

Ken was talking about the Choluteca cons at AquaMania. Basically he introduced them to the hobby...and (like most of the "con" variants) were only ever collected once. He saw something different (and cool) with the really red color on the females and dedicated some really limited space to them.

As an aside, Ken and folks on those trips to Honduras also introduced the Rio Monga con, Rio Claro Con, Rio Monga cutteri, Rio Jutiapa cutteri (all of which I maintain) and the Rio Blanco Gold spilurum (which I believe is lost in the hobby, unfortunately).

Here are some pics from Ken's collecting trip - check out the Rio Monga Cons! http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1956

Unlike African cichlids, it's not like you can just email someone in the Moskito Coast of Honduras to export some fish for you. And (as folks who watched Ken's presentation at AquaMania saw) collecting them isn't a walk in the park (there isn't a Felipe of Honduras)...

It's a labor of love that I maintain all of these "pure" lines of cons and other medium-sized Cryptoheros, etc. (As I have since many of them came to the hobby ~2006-7). I have probably close to 20-25 tanks dedicated to them, depending on whether I'm growing out fry or not. They're all different and don't require the monster tanks that their larger cousins do... so choose one or two and give them a try!

Matt

If they are the batch you put in the auction a few months ago, I picked them up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Drew,

The orange/yellow ones are Rio Cubayo. Choluteca are pretty feisty as well.

Just let me know which you'd like (and how many). Planning to go to the BBQ at ~1 PM...

Matt

They look cool! I don't remember where I saw them but I think it was your house orange/ yellow cons? Do you have any thing that resembles that description? I am willing to try any convict you think will have enough attitude to not get pushed around. So I don't think hrps will work at all even though they are beautiful. I will be putting some neets in at least my two six foot tanks any size group your willing to part with is cool with me but I was thinking 4 or so? Im sure most of these will be going in grow out tanks. Until they put on size. But IM excited for this. Pm me on Friday so I can confirm for Saturday pickup. Thanks again.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Ernie,

I've got what's on the list and only the single A. sp. "inridae"

I've also got the C. dimerus.

Cichlasoma and Aequidens are basically the same, except that (among trivial taxonomic differences) Aequidens have equal length conical teeth and Cichlasoma can have teeth of different lengths.

Matt

Scratch the order of siquia cichlids, do u have any laetacara or aequidensaequidens species?

blkmjk

Members
Drew: The yellow/orange ones you are talking about are the Rio Cabayo siquia. Hands down, these are the meanest convict I have ever seen. I only have a big male left, but he is responsible for the death of at least a half dozen fish, including my female. Definitely get some, but be prepared to deal with the aggression issues as you grow them out.

Angry and beautiful! Sign me up! Is there anything else I could pick up from Matt that would do well in small rock work passages. And fits the angry /beautiful description? I have been trying to come up with a natural looking biotope. And I love the way small fish look with big fish. Mike (DangerChicken) had brichridi? In with Chewy and a Flowerhorn he just gave them small passages to duck away into and they survived and thrived! I hope to accomplish something similar to that in a couple of my tanks.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Some neets and cons would do it. I wouldn't add any more as the passages will run out!

Matt

Angry and beautiful! Sign me up! Is there anything else I could pick up from Matt that would do well in small rock work passages. And fits the angry /beautiful description? I have been trying to come up with a natural looking biotope. And I love the way small fish look with big fish. Mike (DangerChicken) had brichridi? In with Chewy and a Flowerhorn he just gave them small passages to duck away into and they survived and thrived! I hope to accomplish something similar to that in a couple of my tanks.

Drew

blkmjk

Members
Hi Drew,

The orange/yellow ones are Rio Cubayo. Choluteca are pretty feisty as well.

Just let me know which you'd like (and how many). Planning to go to the BBQ at ~1 PM...

Matt

Sounds good. Pencil me in for 6 of each.
6) Rio Cubayo
6) Rio Choluteca
6) Neets

And I will pm you by Friday to let you know if I am confirmed for Saturday. Let me know as well if there is anything I may owe you for these awesome specimens.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions fellas. I am looking forward to placing these fish in the tanks and letting the magic happen.;)

Drew

Forester

Members
Jons are the offspring of the ones I got from you

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
Yep cause the ones I got from you were definitely choluteca.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Here are the Crenicichla from "Cardoso" - big, breeding size 1M/2F available. Don't try to find these on a list. This spot was only collected once ever (by Felipe, Pedro, Ken, me and Piotr from Poland)...

Females have bright pink bellies (and lots of attitude)...

Matt

Uruguay 333.jpg

Uruguay 334.jpg

Uruguay 335.jpg

Uruguay 347.jpg