• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Are the type of rock commonly used is drainage ditches aquarium safe?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Are the type of rock commonly used is drainage ditches aquarium safe? I am talking about the rocks that are gray and white with a few shades of blue. The rocks are commonly used by SHA for drainage ditches. I think its a type of granite but I am not sure.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
those drainage ditches carry off run off which has chemicals galore in it. i wouldnt use them. im sure if you bake or boil them they would be fine but i wouldnt take the chance. how much rock do you need? are you anywhere near a river or creek? thats where i get mine. one weekend or evening we can go collect some if you want.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I live near plenty of ponds but no moving water. I had planed to boil it anyway, I just wanted to know if elements of the rocks make up would leech into the aquarium. There are plenty of the rocks in my neighborhood that are not in drainage ditches, that was just the only way I could think to describe them.

Thanks for the reply the Jewels are doing now that they are in their own tank.

F8LBITE

Members
DSC01625-1.jpg

I got drainage rocks from a cunstruction site before they were used for anything. Be careful getting rocks with pesticides on them too.

I agree with DQ and Jose. The rocks themselves will not leak any chemical, but if used in a drain there might be trouble. Since the ones you want come from a pond I would just scrub them down real good and put them in the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can get some from a landscape place for next to nothing...

I think that they're granite around here...which is generally fish safe. I'd also have concerns about run off from the road (oil, grease, etc.) and lawns (pesticides, fertilizer, etc.)...

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have used lots of them. I took them from places that appeared to only get rain runoff and I never did anything but wash the mud off. Still using plenty of them. They work great and you can't get cheaper. Buying rocks has always seemed a bit strange to me unless you get bulk stuff cheap like GWAPA has done in the past.

George

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
:innocent0006:buying rocks is like buying air and water......i simply dont. some things in life are naturally free.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've got those rocks in with my WC calvus and WC Fire Fin comp's. I got mine off the jobsite that I'm working on, they were busting it up for rip rap in the drainages so I asked if I could have a few... hauled a few loads away.

maddog10

Members
I happen to have rocks for sale very cheap, 25 cents/pound, and I usually throw in extras. I live near Prince Frederick, you can come by and pick out what you like.

River Rock
river-1.jpg

river.jpg

Wall Stone
wall-1.jpg

wall.jpg

Cartel

Members
Its good stuff! Actually ima need some more of the round river stones mike....ill hit you up before the meet.