• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquarium Salt

iamzrad

Members
It's a toss up. Some people claim it does something, some claim it does nothing.
I usually add everytime I clean out the filters (once a month).
Or when I see some nipped fins, add salt and some melafix.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
this one goes both ways depending who you ask..like aquarium salt table salt lol.
i use it only as a medication. that

mchambers

Former CCA member
Don't use it

I used to use it, but did some research and commenced myself that it was unnecessary and probably not at all helpful, except for treating ich. (Or if you have mollies, or other brackish water fish.)

There are quite a few articles on the Internet on this.

Diogenes

Members
a couple weeks ago, a scratch on one of my fish started to get infected with what I think was columnaris. i gave it a salt bath in a 4x normal dose concentrate for a half hour. it's about two weeks later and he's all better, scales and everything back to normal.

I've used it for nipped fins too.

I wouldn't use it as a general tonic unless you keep livebearers or something, because from what I understand, it's the change in salinity and specific gravity that has the medicinal effect on the fish. If they're already adjusted to high salinity i think it might lose some of it's curative properties.