• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquarium Safe Peat

JLW

CCA Members
I don't believe in using peat moss for the aquarium, with the exception of for certain types of fish who need it to spawn. It doesn't lower pH or softness significantly, and there are better alternatives.

Plus, harvesting peat is not environmentally friendly. Peat moss is derived from sphagnum moss, which is the main component of bogs, one of the most endangered wetlands out there. Its very, very slow growing, and it takes a long time for live sphagnum to decompose into peat soil. In order to get to the peat, live sphagnum moss is torn away and discarded (or used for other purposes), and an entire bog basically dug up and destroyed.

You can get tannins and lower your pH using oak leaves, as well as driftwood, or even those ridiculous Indian almond leaves.

Becca

Members
I don't believe in using peat moss for the aquarium, with the exception of for certain types of fish who need it to spawn. It doesn't lower pH or softness significantly, and there are better alternatives.

Plus, harvesting peat is not environmentally friendly. Peat moss is derived from sphagnum moss, which is the main component of bogs, one of the most endangered wetlands out there. Its very, very slow growing, and it takes a long time for live sphagnum to decompose into peat soil. In order to get to the peat, live sphagnum moss is torn away and discarded (or used for other purposes), and an entire bog basically dug up and destroyed.

You can get tannins and lower your pH using oak leaves, as well as driftwood, or even those ridiculous Indian almond leaves.
Tannin Aquatics Tannin Aquatics also offers a variety of interesting botanicals that will help you obtain this effect.

The best way to "soften" water is to start with soft water by using some rain water in your tanks. Softer water will more readily drop pH when you introduce oak leaves or other botanicals/tannin leaching materials.

I like oak leaves for their cost and practicality (JLW taught me about them years ago), but the "fancy" botanicals like seed pods do add some nice features like hiding spots for fish and shrimp, visual interest, and also food for wood-eating plecos (my plecos LOVE seed pods, though they're a pricey snack).

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Becca Becca , JLW JLW , and dogofwar dogofwar as to peat, but if you want to learn about using it, there are a lot of articles out there on the interwebs. For example:

https://en.aqua-fish.net/articles/pros-cons-peat-aquariums-forum-suppliers-aquarium-peat

Matt