• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquafest2007 Auction

mscichlid

Founder
For those who may not be familiar with bigger auctions, take a moment and read the rules: http://www.pvas.com/auctionrules.php

A few other tidbits: True or False?

Get there early in order to register your stuff, get a chair, and view the items before others get there.

Write the items you want on the back of the bidders card to keep track.

Don't drink a lot of fluids, 'cos you will have to pee...eventually.

Bring a styro or two because you will either have to beg for one or pay for one.

Bring extra bags in case your items or someone else's develop a leak.

You will be expected to leave your license in an envelope when you get your bidders card.

You will be running a tab and are expected to pay before you leave.

You will have to pay up in cash. Bring lots of money. The ATM runs out of money fast.

You may ask to have items brought up from any table that is not currently being called for a fee of $2.00. However, there is no guarentee that you will win the bid.

You will get hungry. You should have bought pizza tickets.

You could go to the Outback, but you'll miss what's happening in the auction.

It's best not to bring non-working items to sell...you won't get much and it wastes time.

Bring your big vehicle or either have your family and friends drive to the auction separately.

Guard your bidders card. I'll buy daphnia with it.

Anyone have something to add?

Francine

cyradis4

Members
Wow! Proper auction bidders number!

Is that guy who did the auction in September doing it again? Cuz if so I'm going to have to get there really early so I can be in the front... maybe then I can understand what he is saying!

Later!
Amanda.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I talked with hotel management and asked that the ATM be stocked with extra cash for this weekend. If the one in the hotel runs out thre is one in the gas station up the street.

Amanda. you don't have to understand Ron. Just keep your hand in the air and you will always be the high bidder. :rolleyes: :smashfreakB:

George

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Ron will be one, of many, auctioneers on Sunday. They usually rotate through out the day. Don't worry, after 5 minutes you will get the hang of everything going on.

The list from Francine is mostly things to make it easier on you. I go to most auctions and stay until the very end. I get a kick out of watching people battle over things. Some that I want and others that make me wonder why they want. You never know.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The thing with license is to protect the seller, the club and the buyer. I have been to an auction (in another state) where they just gave out the numbers with out ID. I heard later that out of around 120 numbers, 4 of them had false names and people never paid for the stuff they bought. The club ended up eating the money it owed to the seller. Only have heard of that one time. Does not take long for word to spread and things to change.
</span>

</span>

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Heck, I may have to leave Tray home on Sunday. Got to fit stuff in my truck after the auction....

Charlutz

Members
One other hint - take a mail order catalog if you have one. You may not be in the market for a large canister filter or metal halide canopy, but one may show up on the auction table. They usually will go for a fraction of the cost of retail, but it helps to be able to look up the pricing. I bought an Iwaki pump 10 years ago at one of the PVAS auctions for $35. They still make the pump and it retails for $300+. I recently converted to a bigger pump and sold the Iwaki on ebay for $175.

jrpatter

Members
<div class='quotemain'>Oh, and if you are a member of one of the clubs, checks or cash are accepted
[/b]

However..checks were not accepted at Aquafest 2007.
Marge
[/b][/quote]

my check was accepted just fine.

john

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>Oh, and if you are a member of one of the clubs, checks or cash are accepted
[/b]

However..checks were not accepted at Aquafest 2007.
Marge
[/b][/quote]

my check was accepted just fine.

john
[/b][/quote]

So.. was it only charge cards that were not accepted. (I did read the messages about 'take lots of cash with you... and ATMs will be stocked'.) I'll know about checks at the next auction.
Marge