• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquafest Planted Tanks

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>I sent a cichlid person home with a couple free plants yesterday. :p Come to think of it, sent a couple CCA members home with free plants.

Saw several faces I know from CCA at the meeting, glad you all could make it! Man, I was so pooped after setting up the hardscape and rock in that tank.... never even got to pay attention for most of the auction.

Tank is up and running, brand spankin' new 180g fully planted. When the dust settles (literally, forgot to rinse the lava rock, and spewed red dust over everything when I turned the filters on) I'll try and snag some photos.... err... make you all come and do photos, my camera doesn't cut it![/b]

OHHHHHH BEAUTIFUL TANK

It is picture ready. A giant version of the tiny manicured tanks I have been so jealous of in the past. Now I know what planning a planted aquarium really is = an art form.

Thanks for having all of us there to witness the steps you had to go through to make your tank so self-sustaining. The decisions for soil that will feed the plants forever really intrigued me. Can you add something to the soil of an already established planted tank that will feed the plants for years to come?

Later,
Marge
[/b][/quote]

You can use "fert tabs", they look like oversized pills that are substrate fertilizers. They don't go for years, more like months, but they are easy to use. Plug one in under a plant or area you want to enrich the substrate of, and come again in a few months. Very common to put them under like sword plants, give them that initial boost they like in the substrate.

Only way I know to make it long term is the mineralized soil or premium substrates like Flourite or ADA's Aquasoils. Realize, though, that the soil method does have its downsides, too. Mostly in initial set up - I'm already battling green water from all of the nutrient rich goodness in there. It does eventually settle down, but it would be quite frustrating to someone who wasn't expecting it. :)

Here it is after the dust settled.

[/b][/quote]

Yup, just as I expected. It is spectacular. No one looking at the picture would ever realize the dimensions though. From experience they would think that it was one of those tiny tanks that remind you of jewels you see in displays.

Talk to DC. Back in early January she was trying to find out how to 'make green water'.
Later
Marge