• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquafest 2007 Is In The Books

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Over 100, that's ONE HUNDRED, entries in the show!

Over 100, that's ONE HUNDRED, people showed up!

And that doesn't even include maybe the biggest auction any of the clubs involved ever had!

I am on the PVAS Board of Directors so I guess I have to be a PVASer first, but I have been part of CCA since it was a gleam in Ron's eye and he talked Joe and Francine into turning that gleam into substance. I also watched GWAPA grow out of PVAS and become a major club of it's own and am now a member of GWAPA.

Those hundred numbers wouldn't have been possible without the quality efforts of all three.

Thanks for letting me be part of it and, hey, let's do it again sometime, only BIGGER?

George

How many of you thought maybe Eric Do's talk might just be a little outside your area of interest? And how many of you, like me, are now thinking maybe a shrimp tank could be in your future?

marge618

CCA member
Over 100, that's ONE HUNDRED, entries in the show!

Over 100, that's ONE HUNDRED, people showed up!

Those hundred numbers wouldn't have been possible without the quality efforts of all three.

Thanks for letting me be part of it and, hey, let's do it again sometime, only BIGGER?

George

How many of you thought maybe Eric Do's talk might just be a little outside your area of interest? And how many of you, like me, are now thinking maybe a shrimp tank could be in your future?[/b]

That's just where I am now. I picked up red coral shrimp at the AquaFest auction after listening to Eric Do's talk. Looks like a 1 gallon shrimp and java moss tank is the way to go. I might try them with endlers in a 2.5 gallon as well.
Also, here's a source for red coral shrimp and info. http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

George, I'm going to use your words to tell all of those who worked on AquaFest what a great job they did. "Thanks for letting me be part of it and, hey, let's do it again sometime, only BIGGER?"
Marge

Andrew

Members
Hats off to the Aquafest crew and the three sponsor clubs! It was an experiment to see whether three sisters could share the same baby... It worked!

Great show, great speakers, great auction, great time. Thanks all for your hard work and participation.

Sonny Disposition

Hats off to the Aquafest crew and the three sponsor clubs! It was an experiment to see whether three sisters could share the same baby... It worked!

Great show, great speakers, great auction, great time. Thanks all for your hard work and participation.[/b]

Maybe next time the killifish group would want to get involved.

Bob

krisw

Members
I agree that it was a fantastic show! I still can't believe how big that auction was. I'm glad everyone enjoyed Eric's talk. He gave a similar talk at last year's Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention, and sparked a lot of interest there too. I have a feeling that cherry reds are going to go way down in price at the next auction after seeing how many sold this time. I threw about a dozen out in my 60-70G pond back in May, and pulled out 200-300 over the past few days. Yes, they're prolific if there aren't any predators in the tank.

Thanks to everyone in all of the clubs for pulling it all together. I'm glad I was able to be a small part of such a great weekend! Will there be an Aquafest 2008 next October, or will we have to wait 2 years in lieu of a Catfish convention next year?

animicrazy

Members
October is catfish month next year.[/b]

Great...now I'll have to figure what a catfish is, what kinds there are, what do I like, and Get one ready for next year.

Just when I thought it was safe to go on the forum again.

P.S. Shrimp do seem kind of cool....but later, Much later!

Sonny Disposition

Are we ready for Shrimpfest 2009? What would they serve at the banquet?

<div class='quotemain'>October is catfish month next year.[/b]

Great...now I'll have to figure what a catfish is, what kinds there are, what do I like, and Get one ready for next year.

Just when I thought it was safe to go on the forum again.

P.S. Shrimp do seem kind of cool....but later, Much later!
[/b][/quote]

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Yea...Maybe we can get Red Lobster to sponser the event. :lol:

That was funny Bob!!!;)

Anyways, It all turned out Great George! I look forward to next year.

jrpatter

Members
<div class='quotemain'>October is catfish month next year.[/b]

And I already have my entry! He's in a 20 gallon high by himself and is getting lots of 50 percent protein food and chopped earthworms. Until then.

Bob
[/b][/quote]

I was talking to some PVAS people up in the hospitality suite, they may not have a show at the catfish convention.

John

longstocking

Members
It was very fun all ! Even though I didn't see much... I got to chat with all of you a bit, so that was nice :)

No show at the catfish convention? Blahhhhhhhhh

Sonny Disposition

That would truly be a shame.

<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>October is catfish month next year.[/b]

And I already have my entry! He's in a 20 gallon high by himself and is getting lots of 50 percent protein food and chopped earthworms. Until then.

Bob
[/b][/quote]

I was talking to some PVAS people up in the hospitality suite, they may not have a show at the catfish convention.

John
[/b][/quote]

Andrew

Members
Nothing has been decided about the show at the next catfish convention. We hope to do it, just haven't figured out how or what we'll do. More on that in the next couple months.

animicrazy

Members
Nothing has been decided about the show at the next catfish convention. We hope to do it, just haven't figured out how or what we'll do. More on that in the next couple months.[/b]

Seems to me:

a) figuring is highly over rated - "Just Do It"

b) a catfish seems to really just be a cichlid with whiskers - some HGH ought to do the trick

c) a giant tank from which you select the shrimp of your choice would be GREAT for the banquet - nice job bob

DeeCee

Members
Well, I hope that there's a show involved with it. There's alot of cats that will come for the show that alot of people don't normally see. I never knew there were so many awesome catfish until I actually got to see them somewhere than on the end of a fishing line. :happy:

DC

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>October is catfish month next year.[/b]

Bob
[/b][/quote]

John
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure how you can have a 'big convention' and not have a live show.... Seems counterproductive. Isn't the main event the show?... at least it is for me. I want to see all those catfish...and talk to those who keep them. (The catfish at AquaFest 2007 were awesome....)
Marge

Andrew

Members
It's not a question of whether we want to; it's a question of how. Frankly, it's a tremendous amount of work from a few dedicated individuals who largely are volunteering not to enjoy the rest of the event. So, we have to drum up volunteers...

But this thread has gotten off topic. Back to how great Aquafest was...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Now that I look back, I think I did enjoy it.
Was a lot of work but I think it went well. Gave us a chance to see what it takes to put on a show. Lot to digest. Lot to improve on. But all in all I think a success for our first venture.