• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquaclear filter question

mscichlid

Founder
I have several AC 500's and a couple of 300's that don't work. When I plug them in; not a sound. They were working fine and then I didn't use them for a while. Now none of them work.

Can anyone diagnose this symptom or has had this happen to them?

Nathan

Members
try spinning the impeller with your finger then its plugged in. You have to take the motor off to do it. Thats always worked for me

kewx

Members
I had the same problem. Clean the impeller and the place where the impeller goes. Let them set uplug for a couple minutes. When you re-install the impeller, plug it in to test it before putting it back on the filter.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

I had the same problem. Clean the impeller and the place where the impeller goes. Let them set uplug for a couple minutes. When you re-install the impeller, plug it in to test it before putting it back on the filter.
I've had this problem on occasion. I agree about cleaning the impeller and area where it sits. Sometimes, I've tapped the impeller blade with a chopstick to get it started, but you've got to be careful doing this, of course.

D-money

Members
Do they hum when plugged in? This happens to me also on a few of the 500s and 300s that i have. Clean the impeller and re-install. If they still do not spin, I remove the intake tube and manually and carefully give the impeller a nudge with my index finger.... works every time for me and these Aquaclears are 8-10 yrs old.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
HAPPENS ON MY EMPERORS AT TIMES AND I CLEAN THE IMPELLAR AND HOUSING REALLY GOOD AND IT DOES THE TRICK. IF ITS DRIED UP GUNK YOU COULD TRY AND SOAK IN A BUCKET OF HOT WATER TO LOOSEN IT UP BEFORE YOU CLEAN IT.

MonteSS

Members
Happens with my AC50 (ac500 is old number) when power goes out in the house and then coms back on. A little push of the impellor with a pen and it works fine. If I dont notice it isnt working the motor gets warm.

....Bill

mscichlid

Founder
I cleaned the impeller and motor on a 300. At first, nothing. So I jerked it up and down a couple of times and it worked. Now I have the rest of the 500's to do. Thanks!