• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquaclear filter emptied aquarium!!! Wth?!

captmicha

Members
I've got an Aquaclear 70 on one of my 55 gallons and it emptied out half of the tank all over the floor!

Wth?! I've never had this issue before.

It held a siphon and came out through the top right corner of the filter where the lid got loose. Even if it wasn't, it's not supposed to over flow like this! I mean, it's not like they water tight seal lids onto HOB filters.

Super pissed. Why would this happen all of a sudden?

I recently changed the impeller and put an intake extension on it, but that's it. I put everything back into place.

A9C4107B-95D7-486F-8164-377FBDBA7E4C.jpeg

78853226-D81E-4C49-8053-83240757B337.jpeg

mchambers

Former CCA member
That's terrible! Here's a couple of ideas.

First, is the filter mounted so that it leans towards the tank? There is a little piece, called a leveling device, that installs on the body of the filter, at the bottom, to make sure the bottom of the filter is pushed a little bit away from the tank. Here's the piece: levelling device

Second, is the filter media clogged?

captmicha

Members

First, is the filter mounted so that it leans towards the tank? There is a little piece, called a leveling device, that installs on the body of the filter, at the bottom, to make sure the bottom of the filter is pushed a little bit away from the tank. Here's the piece: levelling device

It doesn't have the leveling device on it, so I'll need to do that.

I'm not sure how much difference it would have made bc the entire damn thing filled up.

Possibly, I just put some plecos in and there's SO much wood debris now. I forgot how bad Anistrus are!!!

Will clean it out again. Just did like two days ago, but still.

Think I need to take the extension off so it doesn't empty out half the freaking tank, at least.

And look into a sump or canister now.

Freakgecko

Members

My exact two thoughts as well. Even taking a sponge or something and putting it in between the filter body and the tank to tilt it. I’ve noticed mine seem much more full when I don’t have a leveling device on it

Becca

Members
My exact two thoughts as well. Even taking a sponge or something and putting it in between the filter body and the tank to tilt it. I’ve noticed mine seem much more full when I don’t have a leveling device on it

I third this. If it's not tipped slightly towards the tank it will spill out the back if it backs up. When the filter media clogs one of 2 things happens - water pushes the media up out of the filter or it backs up and overflows.

A third, very unlikely option, is a bad gasket on the motor.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with the additional points made by Becca Becca and Freakgecko Freakgecko , not surprisingly.

lkelly

Members
I've had one with a cracked case as well.

You can DIY level it by taking some folded up cardboard and wedging it between the case and the back of the tank. Usually the media will push up to reduce the restriction of the flow, but if you have your lid on like you mean it, that might prevent that from happening. Just make sure to clean it reasonably often and if it's leveled right you'll get overflow spillage back into the tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It doesn't have the leveling device on it, so I'll need to do that.

I'm not sure how much difference it would have made bc the entire damn thing filled up.
Makes all the difference, because water flows downhill. You need the back of the filter to be higher than the front.

captmicha

Members
Makes all the difference, because water flows downhill. You need the back of the filter to be higher than the front.
Right, was coming out through the front but also that back corner. Anywho, I did add the missing piece to it.

Definitely was not the way I wanted to do a water change!!