• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

April meeting / what are you bringing

F8LBITE

Members
Sarah, do you know if Julie will be at the meeting? Or if she's OK? Seems like she's been MIA for a while.

Charlutz

Members
/complaint on
I'm not a mod and this is merely a member request, but it would be nice if this thread was kept to items people were bringing to the auction. It's become a monthly want to sell/want to buy thread and we have a separate forum area for that. /complaint off

longstocking

Members
Sarah, do you know if Julie will be at the meeting? Or if she's OK? Seems like she's been MIA for a while.
SHe wrote on my facebook wall.... so I think she is ok. I'll find out for you.

I couldn't agree more Charlie. When this started it was pretty neat just so you could be somewhat prepaired....

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I can tell you that polyurethane foams are made with toxic chemicals and when they are first made there is always some residual of these chemicals. You can usually tell because of the odor. They make car seats and foam bedding out of this stuff.
You can get rid of the residuals and the odor by air drying it. I would do it outside, not in a confined space. The thicker it is the longer it takes to get the odor out. ANd once it smells OK, I would set it up in a tank as you plan to and then put in a couple feeder fish and see that it is OK. It should be, but it is not worth the risk on expensive fish or ones you are planning on breeding.

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Foam discussion

I can tell you that polyurethane foams are made with toxic chemicals and when they are first made there is always some residual of these chemicals. You can usually tell because of the odor. They make car seats and foam bedding out of this stuff.
You can get rid of the residuals and the odor by air drying it. I would do it outside, not in a confined space. The thicker it is the longer it takes to get the odor out. ANd once it smells OK, I would set it up in a tank as you plan to and then put in a couple feeder fish and see that it is OK. It should be, but it is not worth the risk on expensive fish or ones you are planning on breeding.

Here's more on Poret foam and the foam factory choices:

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=164832

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I will be brining two full sheets of poret foam to the meeting for the auction. If I have the room in the truck.

mab

Members
/complaint on
I'm not a mod and this is merely a member request, but it would be nice if this thread was kept to items people were bringing to the auction. It's become a monthly want to sell/want to buy thread and we have a separate forum area for that. /complaint off

Agree - mods should delete any posts that do not relate to the auction. Plus this is not the place to make side deals.

mab

Members
75g - old type - braceless, very thick glass.

It holds water!

See me after the auction for a suggestion on getting a glass top.

Michael