• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistos

Hannibal

Members
I have been thinking about selling my 75 gallon setup and building a rack system for some apistos. Would 20L be a good size for them? I figure I can easily fit 6 tanks maybe 9 if I break down the 15 column tank as well. If I plant them heavily and use sponge filters would that be enough filtration assuming I keep up on my water changes? Any of you apisto keepers have any recommendations or comments on anything?

Here is my current 75 gallon setup:

chriscoli

Administrator
I have apistos in 10s, 15s, and 20l's. I haven't noticed any more spawning in the 20Ls than the other sizes. I also haven't spawned that many, so take that for what it's worth. I'm still growing out several varieties.

I have tons of plants (easy low light ones....java moss, guppy grass, water sprite) to give them lots of hiding places and cover. I give them choice of spawning caves and some wood to add hiding places in case one or the other gets pushy. I also add oak leaves. I've seen the females hiding under them and pushing them around to make pseudo caves.

My tanks are run on mattenfilters and the fry graze on them almost continually.