• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone does fishing?

+1 on what Kevin said. I had quite a tank of natives for a while after Bob Bock led a collecting trip at RiverBend park in Great Falls, VA. We collected several species of sunfish, dace, minnows and also a nice little catfish. Just lost the last of my sunfish but he basically ruled a mixed tank of cichlids for over a year. That trip is still probably the most fun of all the things I have experienced with fish in the last few years, mainly because it was amazing how much stuff we were able to find using seine nets on a shallow area of the Potomac

YSS

Members
+1 on what Kevin said. I had quite a tank of natives for a while after Bob Bock led a collecting trip at RiverBend park in Great Falls, VA. We collected several species of sunfish, dace, minnows and also a nice little catfish. Just lost the last of my sunfish but he basically ruled a mixed tank of cichlids for over a year. That trip is still probably the most fun of all the things I have experienced with fish in the last few years, mainly because it was amazing how much stuff we were able to find using seine nets on a shallow area of the Potomac

Interesting .... So, what do you take with you on these collecting trips to collect the fish? I go to Riverbend quite often and fished a few times, but I would love to collect some more fish. :D

We actually went about a mile upstream from the parking lot and found an area that was shallow enough to wade in. We used seine nets to catch the fish and buckets to hold the fish. It was a surprisingly heavily planted area and so there were quite a few juvenile fish hiding in the vegetation. We also were catching some fish in the side tributaries that run into the Potomac in the park. We did catch some smaller minnows in and around the dock as well as a small crustacean that was a little bigger than large brine shrimp. I had a 10 gallon with those running for awhile but they only lasted a few months.

I was actually thinking of trying the same thing at BeaverDam Creek Reservoir sometime soon and would be game for making it a group activity. I was thinking if I could find a good group of Crappie for my 150, it would really set that tank up nicely. The other predominant fish in the reservoir are White Perch which also could be a pretty nice tank. Either of these would make me happy to collect. Also would be interested to see what else is out there.

http://www.midatlanticfishingguide.com/Beaverdam_Creek_Reservoir.htm

ddavila06

Members
it sounds like a collecting trip Rob!!! anyone up for organizing this? i would be in to help and learn only and the fun to hang out with fish peoples =D

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Anyone know where to catch snake heads? There was a member on here about 2 years ago with some video of fry on the surface.

danger

snakeheads all over the potomac tributaries, alot are coming from mattawoman and pisscataway. there was even one caught as far north as the northeast river, all the shallow flats and grass in the susquehanna flats will be prime territory for them here soon. check out the maryland DNR anglers log. Lots on there with lots of good info of how they caught em. http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/fishingreport/log.asp

ddavila06

Members
anyone caught a snakehead within the club???

i would love catching one =D

anyone went fishing these past couple of days? the weather has been great! not too hot, somewhat cloudy, etc etc. i been sick so no luck here =/

I am probably going to go out Saturday to collect at the reservoir this Saturday morning if the weather is good. Let me know if anyone else is interested. If you are planning to collect you will need a fishing license to do so. I picked up a seine net over the weekend. I have buckets and a few other large nets. I would probably be looking to head over there around eight.

fishology

Members
Have ya checked out the Susquehanna river yet in Harford county Maryland...Up near Conowingo dam there is some nice large mouth bass ,small mouth bass, striper,yellow and white perch, catfish etc.You should check it out some time.Let me know if youre in the area and we can go.You do need a license however..easy to get :)

reviving a dead thread with a nice fish

23.43lb 37.5" flathead caught on the lower susquehanna from my new favorite fishin hole, let my girlfriend get this one

See any differences now caleb?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us