• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anybody keeping dart frogs?

chriscoli

Administrator
You've got a lot of plants in with them and it like oks awesome! Did you do anything in particular with them or are they just set in the enclosure?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
This how a set up the vivarium:
I caulked a cork bark wall to the back wall.
The first layer of the substrate is Hydroton AKA LECA. The Hydroton is used as the drainage layer. Petsmart sells Zoo Med Hydroton for 10 bucks a bag. You may find it at a great nursery or the "grow shop" in Laurel
The next later is window screen mesh. Nothing special. This separates the soil from the Hydroton
The soil is "ABG". ABG mix is a premium substrate for tropical vivariums based off the mix developed by the Atlanta Botanical Garden. You can find ABG at Black Jungle Supply, Josh Frogs, or NEHerp. I also mixed some worm casting into the spots where I planted some of the plants. It's all topped with a layer of sphagnum moss to help with moister retention. For now I have an acrylic top laid over the mesh top. I will be cutting a glass top today.
The light I use is the Zoo Med LED Terrarium light. The light does awesome with plants. It covers the whole necessary spectrum for plants but can also customize the LED pods to suit your needs.

The plants I have are Pothos (two types), Purple Heart from my garden, Red Aglaonema ( just planted), a spider plant cutting (i just planted), and a fern I need to replace with one more water tolerant. I plan to add some air plants to the back wall, some live moss, seed pods and maybe a vine for the wood features.