• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any interest in another grow out contest?

Acara19

CCA Members
a lake tanganyika growout or CA growout contest would be fun, and I think a lot of people would be interested in either.

chriscoli

Administrator
I worry that we've already got oodles of myrnae in many of our tanks. I've got some getting ready to spawn.

That being said, maybe others are interested.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I thought the Burtoni were a CARES fish too but they are not!?!?
Thats why I starting breeding them. I was told they were a cares list species:( They are still beautiful though and actually have a ton of personality. chriscoli chriscoli you were right about them changing from the blue color to the yellow/red color depending on their mood and or tank mates. Its pretty to see such drastic color changes.

lkelly

Members
Thats why I starting breeding them. I was told they were a cares list species:( They are still beautiful though and actually have a ton of personality. chriscoli chriscoli you were right about them changing from the blue color to the yellow/red color depending on their mood and or tank mates. Its pretty to see such drastic color changes.

https://caresforfish.org/?page_id=257

That's the cichlid list, but you can find other families from there.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
This year I would like to breed a least one cares species. Problem is picking one that is more challenging or hard to find. Hmmmmm.... resources

Leffler817

CCA Members
This year I would like to breed a least one cares species. Problem is picking one that is more challenging or hard to find. Hmmmmm.... resources

If you don't find something this weekend, Peter George is bringing rare fish from places other than the Big 3 rift lakes to our March meeting!!!

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
If you don't find something this weekend, Peter George is bringing rare fish from places other than the Big 3 rift lakes to our March meeting!!!
Really!? Hopefully Im not on-call that weekend plus, wait.... Im supposed to meet you anyway. o_O

Acara19

CCA Members
what about a rainbowfish growout contest
alot of melanotaenia and pseudomugil are on the CARES list
i think that'd be fun, breeding behaviors of both families are fun to watch, plus egg scatterers are usually fun/easy to breed.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
i think that'd be fun, breeding behaviors of both families are fun to watch, plus egg scatterers are usually fun/easy to breed.
Sounds fun

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The biggest issue is sourcing 60+ eggs or fry spawned at the same time so they can be distributed to people participating in the contest. We either have to find someone willing to donates those eggs/fry, or find a source to purchase them form. In the past we've used fish that were spawned in large numbers by a club member, which is why Becca had offered some of her myrnae, who appear to be quite prolific.