• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Another sad day

Harleyrider5

Members
Ive always strugfled to grow out plecos. My most successful pleco is my common who is sitting close to 10 inches. Tonight I found my 7 1/2 inch sailfin floating in the tank. I hate to see a beautiful fish go down

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. I'd had a devil of a time keeping my pleco's alive until I started feeding them algae wafers.

blkmjk

Members
I've had reasonable success with larger plecos. Small ones typically end up as absurdly expensive snacks. Big fish problems? ???

Drew

Harleyrider5

Members
The other fish dont start attacking untill they die. My sail fin was in perfect shape when I pull him out of the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
All is well they are getting picked on a little by the big male umbee. But they have caves and hiding spots to hang out in.

Drew

YSS

Members
I have never had any issues with plecos. I have always thought plecos to be one of the easiest and hardiest fish to keep. May be it's the food? That is very strange .... Hope you get your issues sorted out.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The only issues I've had with plecos is making sure that they are getting food, especially in a community cichlid setting. Most of the cichlids I keep are pretty aggressive eaters and it is tough to make sure there is enough food for the plecos. I usually try to drop some pellets/wafers into the tank after the lights go out to make sure there is something.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Provided it didn't die from being picked on/out-competed by other occupants, I suggest you cross-reference the species on PlanetCatfish and make sure you're providing the right water quality and foods. As I'm sure you're aware, some plecos are dedicated wood grazers. Other are carnivores. Still others, aufwuchs grazers.

Blaise