• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angels dying

bschuhart

Members
I lost 2 angels in my SA show tank in the last 2 days. The remaining 6 angels are listless hanging around the corners and breathing heavy. All the other types of fish (tetras, cories, placos) are OK

The tank is well kept, there is no evidence of agression. The only thing I did different is feed them live black worms that I bought from CTE Aquatics.

I did a big water change and added carbon to the filter. Any suggestions on what could be going on?

bschuhart

Members
All the water parameters - OK

No signs of disease, except the way the angels are acting. (hiding, breathing heavy, not eating)

mscichlid

Founder
I would put them in a smaller tank. It would not be beneficial treating the whole tank if they are the only species affected.

As it is impossible to figure out what is wrong at this point, I would start with clean hospital tank with 50% partial water from main tank, 50% new water, seasoned sponge filter and a heater. Bare bottom.

How do the gills look? Enlarged, red, sticking out a bit? If that is the case, I would surmise gill flukes.

YSS

Members
Live blackworms are a big no-no in the discus community due to potential for parasites and other bugs. I am pretty sure blackworms are the cause of your angel fish illness. Having said that, not sure how to treat them. I would say keep up the water quality (meaning lots of water changes) and observe the fish for a few days.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Two words: red wigglers.

No risk of parasites... oh, and free (once you begin culturing them).

Matt

cmcpart0422

Members
It could possibly be Hexamita. When I got my angels a while ago I had similar issues. I can't offer too much info about it but I'm sure a internet search will provide you with enough info for you to determine if the symptoms are a match. All I had to do was up the temp in the tank for a few days and they managed to pull through. Good luck!

bschuhart

Members
Lost 2 more angels, only 4 left. The corys, plecos and Cardinal tetras look fine, the red severum looks a little distressed but not as bad as the angels and he is still eating.

Any suggestion on how to treat? I did 75% water change and added carbon to the filter. The only meds I have around are Melafix, Delos and copper.

Help please.

YSS

Members
It could possibly be Hexamita. When I got my angels a while ago I had similar issues. I can't offer too much info about it but I'm sure a internet search will provide you with enough info for you to determine if the symptoms are a match. All I had to do was up the temp in the tank for a few days and they managed to pull through. Good luck!

Hex don't kill fish so quickly, at least in my experience.

You might want to go to the angelfish forum and ask for help there. Sorry about your troubles. Good luck.

Nathan

Members
It could be one of the flagellates. Try getting some metro into them.

I had something go through all my angels the week after the convention, I think it was Chilodonella. It hit the angles hardest, lost them all. The only thing that looks like its recovering is a pair of apistos.

bschuhart

Members
Well, all 8 of my angels died, treated with Metro but they still died. The strange thing, nothing else in the tank is sick. Cardinals, Severum, Cory's, whip tail cats, all ok.

My next question is there some kind of angel specific thing? Will I ever be able to put angels in this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

YSS

Members
Well, all 8 of my angels died, treated with Metro but they still died. The strange thing, nothing else in the tank is sick. Cardinals, Severum, Cory's, whip tail cats, all ok.

My next question is there some kind of angel specific thing? Will I ever be able to put angels in this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Like I said, your issue most likely was due to feeding the live blackworms. If you keep those away, I am sure you should be able to keep angels in your tank.

Greengirl

Members
bschuhart : I am so sorry to hear about your angels. I know I cry whenever any of my babies die. Hang in there.

This is one of my angels Senior halfstash. He has a mustache mark on one side of his face, so it looks like he has a bad shave. He is the smallest and weakest of my school and he hasn't grown since I got him in December. Is there a disease that affects perception? He keeps trying to get food in the reflection of the side of the tank. He doesn't notice the other fish eating behind him. Can angels have schizophrenia?

IMG00354-20130212-2105.jpg