• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angelfish room near completion

I have spent 2 years working on my fishroom from putting up the roof to the plumbing to trading fish for used tanks and it is now weeks away from completion at 3100g. I have many many confirmed pairs that spawn frequently and wanted to know if anyone is interested in buying some fish o help offset the recurring monthly bills. I have a couple confirmed pairs of platinums ( those are all white ) both pearlscale and regular and I think one or two pearlscale/regular pairs. I do not have any koi ( those are the white/orange/black ones) pairs right now but should have a few in a couple months. I have a lot of unsexed but fully adult platinum pearlscale some with viel tails other regular. It is from this line I am building my own from. I will have golden veils and those DD Black ones in the future, they just starting laying. I also should have some koi dime sized in a couple weeks, they are growing fast just not there yet.

If anyone is interested in stopping by Urbana Md to get some or just to look at one middle aged guys dream, email me at doug_gosnell@yahoo.com or pst me here. I would post prices, but it really depends on what you are getting but I can guarantee you will not find better looking fish anywhere.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
This brings me back. I used to work in a hatchery that did primarily angels (Dennis Hare's Roraima Tropicals) many years ago. I don't know if I have time this weekend, but you'll be hearing from me eventually. I have more than a little nostalgia for my former life.

I am sure I am more barebones than that facility... for instance I have a gravel floor which when it is not draining spills... insulates! I do have the largest nitrate filter this side of a wastewater treatment plant though.

Becca

Members
I am sure I am more barebones than that facility... for instance I have a gravel floor which when it is not draining spills... insulates! I do have the largest nitrate filter this side of a wastewater treatment plant though.

We were pretty barebones. Shelving built out of 2x4's, 3 pool filters for 3 separate systems, Cory cats in breeding groups in 40 breeders on a concrete floor, a shelf for the jars of angel fry, pairs in 20 talls, grow-outs in 45s (I think - odd dimensions). Lots and lots of sponge filters.

We did work off of central systems but did many, many water changes by hand. I spent hours each day filling 5 gallon buckets with dirty water, using a turkey baster to move any stray fry back to their tanks, then carrying them to a big sink and dumping them. Sponge filters were cleaned by hand using a special "bucket" method that Dennis taught me while cigar smoke and the inane rantings of Rush Limbaugh wafted through the air.

Ok, I am super high tech then, a 300g moving bed filter with 10 cubic ft of kaldness, a 240w UV, and a 100g (soon to be 200g) nitrate filter. My well is 100+ ppm nitrate thanks to the farmers and even with 1000 gpd RO dumping into the sump, I could not keep the nitrates much below 50. That big nitrate filter has me at a happy 5ppm and when the other one comes online should keep it that way no matter how much I feed. I am sure you know when you have a spawn hit say nickel size and up, how much food you have to pump into them. Although I have maybe 15 sponge filters, I hate cleaning them all the time and made some cool 2 liter moving bed filters out of soda bottles.

More angels than you have ever seen at one place, 2800 gallons now, another 300 are due to come online in a week or so. I also have about 40 breeder sized albino pearlscale that are F3s from the cross AngelsPlus.com did with a koi x pearlscale albino. I have some really nice long finned veils that would really stand out in a tank like that, close to 10" from the base of the bottom fin to the top of the dorsal.

Becca

Members
Um, yeah, you are VERY high tech compared to where we were 8-10 years ago :)!

I know we had UV sterilizers somewhere in-line and an RO unit (though I didn't know what the RO unit was for at the time - LOL!), but VERY bare bones.

A combination of the angelfish virus and the beginnings of a tanking economy spelled death for that place, unfortunately. My advice there would be stay the bleep away from imports, even if they do go on a separate system. Once you reach a certain humidity level, there's water vapor everywhere and stuff jumps systems.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Very cool indeed!

Is the large nitrate filter similar to the 2 liter bottle moving bed filter? How doe the nitrate filter work? Very interested.

Thanks for posting.

I was writing a reply to the nitrate filters, will port a thread in a DIY or tech based area and link it here. They are very easy to make and outperform any algae scrubber or fancy pads out there. My initial test filter of 30g was removing ~600 mg of nitrate per hour for the cost of 24ml of vodka... a shot is 30ml.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I was writing a reply to the nitrate filters, will port a thread in a DIY or tech based area and link it here. They are very easy to make and outperform any algae scrubber or fancy pads out there. My initial test filter of 30g was removing ~600 mg of nitrate per hour for the cost of 24ml of vodka... a shot is 30ml.

Curious. Please do. Was thinking of building a coil denitrator a while back, but never got around to it. Also heard a lot of horror stories of it going bad and nuking a tank.

Curious. Please do. Was thinking of building a coil denitrator a while back, but never got around to it. Also heard a lot of horror stories of it going bad and nuking a tank.

I do not like to call things stupid... but that design is stupid and operationally is asking for trouble. Will post tonight or tomorrow in the DIY section.