• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

and this is why we quarantine....

Becca

Members
You might look up myxobolus cerebralis, which causes whirling disease. It is a parasite and there is one stage that does attach to the surface of the fish, which may be what you are seeing.

I do not believe there is a cure once the whirling starts. Don't know about before it starts.

Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay get it sometimes. The organism is in all local waters.

Interesting. Some of the symptoms Christine's fish are having, including the really fast onset, are similar to what I saw in my fish when the 29 crashed. I did not, however, see any growths on their heads or bodies.

chriscoli

Administrator
You guys are awesome, thanks for all of your help! I'll keep you posted and if any other thoughts come to mind, please let me know!

I could be way off but if I saw that on one of my fish I would isolate and treat with hi concentrate meth. Blue baths. If he was eating I'd use focus and kanamycin also. Just a hunch.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
If you need focus and/or kanamycin, Tropical Lagoon usually carries them, but I also have some handy if you can't find it.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have kanamycin but not sure that's what I need right now. Thanks, though, Becca!

Happen to have any potassium permanganate?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Jungle Clear Water is mostly potassium permanganate. I don't have any, but I bet a LFS would carry it.

Becca

Members
Texted you :).... unless I know another Christine... pretty sure you're the only one I know.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Potassium permanganate is available at a lot of hardware stores since it is use to regenerate green sand in purifying water for home use where the water has a lot of iron and other minerals.

Hydrogen peroxide will destroy any excess KMnO4 and turn the muddy manganese dioxide by-product precipitate to clear colorless. Not sure if it will remove KMnO4 stains from cloth or skin.

But based on other statements in this thread, I would think that a salt dip would be the first thing to do.

chriscoli

Administrator
Potassium permanganate is available at a lot of hardware stores since it is use to regenerate green sand in purifying water for home use where the water has a lot of iron and other minerals.

Hydrogen peroxide will destroy any excess KMnO4 and turn the muddy manganese dioxide by-product precipitate to clear colorless. Not sure if it will remove KMnO4 stains from cloth or skin.

But based on other statements in this thread, I would think that a salt dip would be the first thing to do.

Indeed, salt is probably the first thing to try.

I've run into the need for KMnO4 a few other times recently and didn't have it on hand so I'm thinking that it's a good thing to have around in any case...