• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Amatitlania pond

Acara19

CCA Members
Let's just use amatitlania altoflava as an example
But how big of a pond would I need to keep a functional population of the things if I introduce a new bloodline every couple of generations

Acara19

CCA Members
Like a breeding population, start with a group and let them reproduce, raise the fry in the pond and keep that going for awhile
Sorry should've specified that

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Like a breeding population, start with a group and let them reproduce, raise the fry in the pond and keep that going for awhile

Depending on floor space (i.e. dimensions) I would say 100-200 gallons for a couple of pairs. The longer and wider it is, the easier it will be to keep more individuals/pairs. For instance, my 235 gallon tub holding my bass and oscars would work for maybe 2-3 pairs, not because of bioload but because of floor space. It’s only a 4 foot diameter circle.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Becca Becca is also correct. If you want a “sustainable” size for more than a few pairs for a few breeding cycles, you’re going to have to have a heated 1,000 gallon monstrosity. You’ll have to pull the juveniles after a few breeding cycles or get your net ready for dead fish when the next cycle starts.

Acara19

CCA Members
Just to have a population of altoflava just in case they go extinct in the wild
Seeing as they're already vulnerable and as rare as they are