• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Alright, I Give In!

okimavich

Members
Ok, I've got a jonesing after off-handedly buying my first mass of java moss. I want to do a small (yes, it always starts out small) planted community tank. What can go wrong with a 20G tank? Ghaz, you don't have to answer that. :p

Anyway. I need some pointers and help get started. I want some plants and some mindless, pretty schooling fish. What should I be looking for in substrate? Gravel/pebbles? Potting soil? Laterite (whatever that is)?

Can I get away with not doing RO water? I can't afford one right now, so this will be interesting. I don't necessarily need them breeding just yet. Eventually . . .

I'm assuming that the plants will prefer to be closer to the light and therefore, a squat tank is somewhat preferable to a tall one. Right?

DIY CO2 in a soda bottle should work, right?

As for fish, let's start off with a few cardinals or neons and some bottom feeders (cory's possibly). I'll have to start hunting some down.

Thanks.

AHA!
OK, well here's some reading material...

http://www.pvas.com/gwapa/documents/The_Bu...ed_Aquarium.pdf

..and a picture of a 3 month old planted 20 that was based pretty much off the above
guidelines.

20G_1%5B1%5D.jpg

Use Seachem flourite (reddish-brown) or Seachem Onyx Sand (gray - looks nice and shows off fish colors)
as the substrate...damnit..someone is heating up some nasty smelling food. UGH!

Give me a second to stuff some tissue paper up my nose....

THERE!

Ok....

You dont' need RO. What's your tap what like? Should be fine.
For a tank that small, you can use Seachem Excel as the carbon source - or do a DIY
CO2 bottle or both.

Fish..
I'd go with some albino cories (I'm bringing some to the CCA meeting)
Maybe some rasboras - cardinals and neons are over done.
A pair of dwarf cichlids maybe?

You want to go to AC tomorrow morning? I'll help you pick out the stuff/plants.
I'm planning on being there around 10ish.

mscichlid

Founder
LOL!

Yes, you too could have a tank that looks like that. Geez... Actually I plan on giving it a whirl.

You definantly need at least one pair of Apistos. Start with cacatuoides because they will thrive and breed in alkaline water. They're easy. Just a pair, though. Don't let anyone talk you into a trio.

okimavich

Members
Thanks.

Ghaz: I should be there at 11, the latest.

Francine: I didn't know there were any apistos that like not-so acidic waters. Hmm. I wonder how they would do with a bunch of Tropheus . . . :lol:

C

Charlotte

Play nice G! :p

John,
When you come over with Michelle, I'll show you what we have for plants, just floating/laying around. I may be able to part with. We'll talk.

Charlotte

okimavich

Members
Well, how many tropheus can a Rhombeus take on in one go? Or better yet, will a Rhombeus be able to chase anything without fins and tail? :D Don't underestimate a gaggle of tropheus! :lol:

Anyway. Ghaz, thanks for all the help on getting me started today. Hopefully I can get this thing up and running soon.

Charlotte, I may take you up on that offer . . .