• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Allergic Reaction to Food?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Jim Peck was over last night and I was feeding the big tanks. Ran out of the large NLS, so went with another product that I picked up at the convention. I put in an average amount and my big haps in the 180 quickly dispatched it as typical.

Within a few minutes, many of the fish were scratching, most notably the F. rostratus and a few of the female peacocks.

Worst of all, the two largest male rostratus developed dark random blotches on their faces, throats and gill plates. It almost looked like the nerve damage you see on some fish that sustain head trauma.

I did a 70% +/- water change and added a bunch of Prime, salt and baking soda to try to make things more comfortable for them.

The scratching subsided and the blotches lightened, but were still present when I went to sleep a couple of hours later. I did not have time to check them this morning.

Of the other fish in the tank, no others were affected in the manner, nor were fish in the all-male 150. I changed water in the other tank to be sure.

Other pertinent factors - the water was relatively clean. Did a large water change last week. Temperature was normal. No new fish added for months.

Prior to feeding them, we watched them for a while and saw no strange behavior or makings on the big boys. I have to assume it had to do with the food.... :confused:

Anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Not with fish, but what you've described, along with difficulty breathing, is exactly what happens to me when I eat something I'm allergic to. With me, each reaction is worse than the one before, which is what the doctors told me would happen.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I am sure we all would like to know, but maybe it should not be posted in a forum setting. Tony- I guess you have a lot of PM-ing to do. :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I don't really want to say who the manufacturer is, other than the fact that they are a quality company and respected in the hobby. I've seen these threads turn real bad before and don't want to lose this company any business.

I have used this food before and have been pleased with it in the past. Others who got food from the same batch did not have any issues nor did the fish in my 150. I am thinking that because it was a certain species of fish, that may have something to do with it.

I will contact a rep and discuss it with them.

Thanks guys.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Sometimes when I over feed the fish will sort of act like that but I have never had that bad of a reaction from changing foods.?
Yeah, I would ask the manufacturer.
Is it new or old?
How long was it open?
Could something have gotten in there?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I think you should post it on the forum...

...lest anyone else's tanks are vulnerable to a similar event. If you'd fed them and walked away you might very well have come back to a tank full of dead fish.

Understand wanting to protect manufacturers and club sponsors from unqualified and/or specious claims, but my allegiance/loyalty to my fellow club members and aquarists has greater weight. Doesn't mean an accusation is in order, but I brought home a ton of food from the ACA and am going to be well and truly p.o.ed if I have a major and otherwise avoidable extinction event due to a tainted batch of food. Don't see the harm in asking if anyone else has experienced or observed any complications arising from use of a certain product, but potentially quite a lot in keeping this all secret.

fischfan13

Banned
...lest anyone else's tanks are vulnerable to a similar event. If you'd fed them and walked away you might very well have come back to a tank full of dead fish.

Understand wanting to protect manufacturers and club sponsors from unqualified and/or specious claims, but my allegiance/loyalty to my fellow club members and aquarists has greater weight. Doesn't mean an accusation is in order, but I brought home a ton of food from the ACA and am going to be well and truly p.o.ed if I have a major and otherwise avoidable extinction event due to a tainted batch of food. Don't see the harm in asking if anyone else has experienced or observed any complications arising from use of a certain product, but potentially quite a lot in keeping this all secret.

Sam, I agree.
Tony has told me of the food and I fed my fish the same exact food and nothing happened to my fish.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Hang in there Tony. You did right. If anyone asks, tell them if you like but spreading unfounded rumors is dangerous. You do not know if the food did anything.

You noted that Jim was there. Could have been a reaction to him. You think?

George:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, I experimented this morning.
I saw the name of the food on another forum.

I opened a new container.
I gave it to
the Discus tank
a nother new world tank
a peacock tank
and my yellow labs.

Other than the labs having full mouths for so long because of the size of the food.... no reaction at all.

Charlutz

Members
+1 on putting the name out publicly. I know most of the people posting personally and believe you all to be seasoned enough to understand that anecdotal evidence is inherently suspect, but valuable nonetheless. I brought home a good bit of food from the convention and don't want to be apprehensive about using it, especially since I feed my fish immediately before leaving the house for 10 hours while I head to the office. I think we'll keep things respectable with an admonition to not flame a manufacturer but merely report on observations.

PS - I've not seen an allergic reaction in my fish from food, but baby comps choke on daphnia. They gobble them up and then I find them dead on the tank floor within a day. Also, I am allergic to bloodworms. I wasn't always, but at some point I developed an allergy where if I come into contact with them, my face swells up to the point where my eyes close, I have trouble breathing, my sinuses go into overdrive and everything becomes itchy. It's not the bloodworms' or the manufacturer's fault, just my own bodily defenses conspiring against me.

fischfan13

Banned
Rumor has it that it was the Evil Empire that has been secretly (so secretly they did not even know it themselves) conspiring to take over Clubs across the Nation that posted the name of the product...but then it's just a rumor.:rolleyes:

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The name is ....(Insert your favorite fish food here) Folks if you want to know PM Tony he may tell you but keep it to your self and keep it off this forum. I think the club made some great connections with the ACA sponsors. We don't wan t to mess that up.

Charlutz

Members
Rumor has it that it was the Evil Empire that has been secretly (so secretly they did not even know it themselves) conspiring to take over Clubs across the Nation that posted the name of the product...but then it's just a rumor.:rolleyes:

Why do the Yankees care about fish food?!? :p

fischfan13

Banned
The name is ....(Insert your favorite fish food here) Folks if you want to know PM Tony he may tell you but keep it to your self and keep it off this forum. I think the club made some great connections with the ACA sponsors. We don't wan t to mess that up.

Prince, I absolutely agree with your statement if it definitely was the food in question that did this.
IMO I do not believe so.
Although Tony did not mean to start a raging-panic in the Cichlid Community about a fish food there were/are some who became worried. "Could this be the food that I brought home as well"?

I think all is well.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I got some at the same time as Tony and Bill and have been feeding it to all sorts of new worlds with no adverse affects.