• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae

fweed

Members
I have another algae problem and dont how to handle it. My tank is like green no algae build up on the wall or anything but the water is just green. And i have done water changes and i have added some Acurel f I donr know where to go from here. Could it be algae build up in my sand, thats the only thing that i havent done. Please help......:angry:

msjinkzd

invert junkie
or micron polishing. Does the tank get direct sun? Greenwater is a unicellular algae bloom. There has to be an excess of nutrients in the water column. UV will kill the algae in teh water column, but it will keep occuring unless you figure out why its happening.

fweed

Members
no its not near a window or near direct sunlight. I can not figure out the cause so I am thinking about transferring the tank to another tank and starting it all over. Could it be trapped in the sand.

mscichlid

Founder
Green water is usuallay the result of too much light and overfeeding. How long do you keep the lights on? Is your sand deeper than 1" and filled with uneaten food?

You can get rid of it by vaccuming the sand, doing a 50% water change, turning the lights off and not feeding your tank. It eventually will go away once you stop feeding it.