Albino Cories

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I came home to Albino Cory eggs stuck to the tank glass, Three cories only in the 10 gal tank with bubble up filter. do i leave the eggs or remove? What should i do next?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
I would take the eggs out with a razor blade or remove the parents. I have never had them grow up with the parents. They always go back and eat the eggs or the fry.

Keep them by themselves. Once free swimming, squeeze a sponge filter in the tank for food. Once big enough, give bbs or crushed flake.

Just my personal opinion.

Sonny Disposition

The babies love micro worms.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Feb 26 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would take the eggs out with a razor blade or remove the parents. I have never had them grow up with the parents. They always go back and eat the eggs or the fry.

Keep them by themselves. Once free swimming, squeeze a sponge filter in the tank for food. Once big enough, give bbs or crushed flake.

[/b]

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
were do i get micro worms?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Feb 27 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Feb 26 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

mscichlid

Founder
A member could give you a starter culture or you could purchase one from SCALES if you need it right a way. You'll need to have it going before the fry become free-swimming.

Sonny Disposition

I forgot to tell you that they probably won't need to eat much of anything until after their yolk sacs are absorbed. Along with microworms, the other food that will make them grow like gangbusters is decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. (Fresh, not dried.) There are recipes for decapsulating all over the place. I soak a tablespoon or two of eggs in a half cup of water for a half a day, then add an equal part chlorine bleach. Stir the hold mess for three or four minutes, until the eggs turn from brown to organge. Pour through a brine shrimp net, and rinse well. Suspend the net and eggs over a container of water, so that the net frame rests on the edge of the containter but the eggs are submerged. Pour a tablespoon or so of dechlorinator over the eggs. Lift from the water, and if they still smell like bleach, use more dechlorinator. Personally I find this easier than hatching a new batch of eggs every couple of days or so. I also think they grow faster on the decapsulated eggs, which are mostly yolk. (When you hatch them, the shrimp absorb the yolk.)

After that, I usually suspend the net and eggs to let them dry out for a couple of hours. Store in a closed container and keep refrigerated, and they'll keep for months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DavidG @ Feb 27 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
were do i get micro worms?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Feb 27 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Feb 26 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ May 21 2008, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
</span>David, did you ever get anything from this batch?

</span>
[/b]
NO LUCK FOR ME, THEY HAVE LAID MANY TIMES SINCE , BUT THEY JUST TURN WHITE.I HAVE ABOUT 6 DIFFERENT CORIE'S TOGETHER.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Well well finally got some fry from my albinos , only 1/2 dozen out of 20 eggs hatched. but I believe I'm on the way now.

longstocking

Members
Congrats ! I used to breed these a few years ago.

A little trick... make sure the fry can get to the surface. The do better this way and you won't have as many die on you. I used to use 8 inch high or less containers. Cories need to be able to get the surface as I'm sure you've seen your adults do.