• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Advice Needed

kaj41354

Members
Hi folks,

I started the new year with some new used tanks. I got 2 - 50Gal (36x18x18), 1 that I thought I would turn into a display tank in the living room (already got Susie's approval). Since I am new to the African Cichlid world, I wanted to see if I could get some ideas from everyone here at CCA. I did check the Cichlid-Forum and found this one that I thought would be nice. It is for a 55 which actually has less surface area than mine. had a ? though and those are in red.

• Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12 (non-jumbos)
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps <---How many??
• Neolamprologus buescheri - 12
• Shell dweller pair of choice - <<--Would it be ok to have more than 1 pair?
'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis,
multifasciatus (group), melegaris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,
similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus

I probably wont due this until late spring since I have to build a cabinet but I would like to plan ahead.

Thanks all

Charlutz

Members
The altos you can keep in a small group, although large males can be rough on other males. It takes them a few years to grow to that size, so 4-6 would be ok for a bit until they grew. You have a typo or a mistake with the buescheri. A group of 6 juveniles that you would thin down to a pair once they became sexually mature is IMO a better way to try. You may run out of real estate to do more than one pair of shellies once the altos and buescheri claim a territory.

Hi folks,

I started the new year with some new used tanks. I got 2 - 50Gal (36x18x18), 1 that I thought I would turn into a display tank in the living room (already got Susie's approval). Since I am new to the African Cichlid world, I wanted to see if I could get some ideas from everyone here at CCA. I did check the Cichlid-Forum and found this one that I thought would be nice. It is for a 55 which actually has less surface area than mine. had a ? though and those are in red.

• Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12 (non-jumbos)
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps <---How many??
• Neolamprologus buescheri - 12
• Shell dweller pair of choice - <<--Would it be ok to have more than 1 pair?
'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis,
multifasciatus (group), melegaris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,
similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus

I probably wont due this until late spring since I have to build a cabinet but I would like to plan ahead.

Thanks all[/b]

kaj41354

Members
I thought this was a lot of fish for a tank tha size. If it is a typo, than it is wrong on the website. Would it be better to go with just Cyprichromis leptosoma and some shellies or is there another that could be added?

longstocking

Members
Kurt...

Since I'm a mod over there :lol: ... there are a lot of mistakes in the cookie cutters !

I've kept most of these fish...

I would skip the cyprichromis.... better option would be Paracyprichromis. They can be kept in a 3 foot tank... but best in 4 foot tanks. Since you haven't kept them before, I'd stick with the Paracyprihromis.

If you want more than a pair of shell dwellers.... go with something that likes to breed/live in harems. Ocellatus is a good option.... and pretty available from quite a few people locally.

Buescheri.... if you are set on these... are mean little you know what's ! Start with 6 not 12. YOu could end up with a pair or a trio.

kaj41354

Members
I am really not set on any fish. This is for a display tank and I wanted to get a varitety of fish that wouls cohabitate fairly well, have some good colors, and be fairly active. Aplus would be if they bred in the tank but really not a necessity. I just know that you more experienced cichlidiots could make recommendations as to what fish.

longstocking

Members
If you want a tank you don't have to mess with much... and just enjoy ...

This is what I would do as a display tank that is 3 foot long....

8 Paracyprichromis
5 Calvus ( might have to be thinned down)
6 Ocellatus

That's it. The Paracyprichromis and calvus are very mild in terms of aggression and movement. The Ocellatus are spunky and will give you more movement in the tank.

kaj41354

Members
Thanks Sarah,

That sounds like a good plan. What i liked about this tank was that it is 18" deep and will give me a lot of room to make rockworks. Those darn 12" deep tanks just make it difficult. Now to get it all ready...Fun times ahead.

Thanks everybody