• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Adding new fish to an established tank

stany

CCA Members
I have a two month established tank of 11 male Africans and 3 syno catfish. I'm thinking to add additional fish maybe one at a time or as they become available in the club. Aside from my Copadichromis Azureur Mbenji trying to claim a specific cave the others are just free swimming and getting along. I've read it's better to add a couple at a time and shuffle the rocks around. By default I move the cave rocks when I do a two week gravel cleaning and the Mbenji gets busy chasing everyone away from his rock no matter where I put it . All in all there is a little chasing otherwise. Am I nuts to add a single new fish?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In my experience, it is always a crap shoot when adding fish to an established tank. I've had experiences on both ends of the spectrum, albeit with New World Cichlids and not an all male Old World set up. I've found that rearranging the tank helps a lot. I also have had success when adding the new fish during a water change, as this already disrupts the tank and gets the existing inhabitants out of their "normal" behavior.

The advice you've received about adding multiple fish is also sound advice if you can follow it. In any case, just dropping a single new fish into a tank without any other disruptions probably has the lowest chance of success unless the new fish is significantly larger than the rest of the fish in the tank.

In any case, have a back up plan ready to go and spend some time observing the tank when you introduce the new fish.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Other than adding during a water change, the other option is to add at night when the lights are off, most likely the other fish won't be 'awake' to chase new fish around.

Be sure to quarantine though, adding new fish to an established tank can lead to problems whether the fish appears healthy or not.

I agree with Jon about adding multiples when possible, I've added single fish to tanks in the past and ended up with a dead fish within hours.

stany

CCA Members
Thanks for the reply's. I've heard these ideas before and most suggest against adding a single fish. I guess coming up with tricks like doing it during water changes or at night are work-around's because it's not a great idea. Some would say it's crazy to even try what I'm doing. There is so much bad advice on the net. I thought I would ask here as the CCA group has superior experience on a lot of cichlid matters. To Cory's questions It's a Malawi set up as far as water parms go and a 50 long tank. I have two Lake Victoria specimens doing well. I am overstocking to limit them from claiming territory and/or spreading out aggression. The fish range in size from 2 -4 inches. A German Red and Blue Sapphire are the 4 inch ones and are peaceful and the smaller ones seem to follow them when they are cruising the tank. The Mbenji is 2 1/2 inches and the only one trying to claim a spot and chase others away but even that is not constant or directed to another specific individual. I see some cichlids offered from time to time I'd like to have and I thought if I get something 2 1/2+ inches I may be able to get away adding it. I'm thinking I can add 2 or 3 more and when someone gets to 5 inches trade or sell it. Trying to avoid the common stuff like yellow labs but did add an Acei and Rusty because I liked the colors.May have to wait until the next BFD or CCA members grow out some males I'm interested in.