• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A permanent approach to annual killies...revisited...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
If you've ever kept killies- and a lot of you have- you're bound to realize that you've probably seen and maintained far more killifish from Africa than you ever have from South America. I found this a bit interesting, myself, because although Africa offers tons of cool killie species, South America has some pretty neat ones as well. Let's talk about them today.

At the risk of over simplifying it to the point where my killie-keeping friends will definitely smack me, you've essentially got two types- the Rivulus species which tend to be top-dwellers, living in streams and pools, and then you have the "annual" species, like Aphyolebias, Opthalmolebias, Gnatholebias, etc. And interestingly, we don't usually see many of these fishes in more "permanent" displays...or in display-type tanks at all, which is a bit of a shame, IMHO, because they are attractive and interesting fishes that deserve more attention. (click to read more)