• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A most complicated discussion on the idea of simplifying things...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
It seems as though not a day goes by when you don’t hear about some new product, animal or technique that "will help change the hobby forever." Crazy, modern, new things that promise to simplify and improve our hobby experience. Some are great. Some add to the complications we already deal with in the hobby. Complication. Complexity. These are kind of "old school" philosophies, if you ask me. For some reason, many of us in the hobby seem mired in the past, with a “more complicated must be better” philosophy. (You've probably heard me rant on this before. In fact, I'm sure you have.)

IMG_4243_large.JPG

To this end, we often equip our systems with tons of gadgetry with the intent of recreating the natural environment., and employ complex, militant protocols to keep the environment within a precise range.

13211033_10153666746795835_1613520153_o_large.jpg

However, lately, I find myself turning to (and preaching) a more disciplined, yet simplified approach to aquarium keeping. (click to read more)

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Interesting stuff...

I guess I sometimes come off a bit "negative-sounding" on the topic, but I see a fair number of "hobbyists" who have utilized these "technical crutches" as a means to avoid the necessary learning and perfecting of husbandry, knowledge of systems, and general pleasures of managing a tank. There seems to be a form of "atrophy" taking place with some hobbyists, assuming that having all of the gadgetry helps you bypass stuff like water changes, etc....that is a recurring them, right?

I hope hobbyists continue to discover and relish the joy of simply engaging with their aquariums in a more basic way...keeping their hands wet, literally and figuratively. THAT is where the real joy and beauty of the aquarium hobby resides, IMHO. That being said, to each his own...and thee is nothing wrong with tech...It's just when I see people failing for "unknown reasons" despite all of the gadgetry, when the reality is that the answers are right there in front of their faces, I have to wonder. Looking at a readout can augment, enhance- but never replace, the act of engaging directly with your aquarium!

-Scott