• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A. lyonsi in Community?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I was fortunate enough to pick up some of Pete's Amphilopus lyonsi juveniles at last month's auction. (and yes, I *mostly* realized what they were when purchasing, lol).

Anyway, had plans on raising the juvies up and giving them the same treatment as my Parachromis La Ceiba - keeping a pair in a 13" tall 48"x18" footprint breeder tank (~60 gallons).

Researching them a bit more though, I'm considering changing up their long term plans.

In the next couple of months, I'm pondering relocating/selling the Tangs in my 125 featherfin/Cyp/Callo setup and moving in my Thorichys maculipinnis/ellioti, rainbow cichlid trio and the C. pananmensis. I was considering adding my adult Montezuma swords to the mix.

I've read that lyonsi are on the low end of the Amphilophus aggression spectrum. Without the swordtail snacks, would a pair work in a 125 with the firemouths, Panamensis and rainbow cichlids?

How about a single specimen? The other fish, while not full grown, have a pretty decent headstart on the 1.5" lyonsi juvies now. I would toss them all in there at the same time and let them gain size in the presence of their eventually-smaller tankmates.

I wouldn't try it with the La Ceiba - heard they're on another level of aggression altogether from these guys.

Or.. should I just stick with the swords and go with a more peaceful setup?

Thanks in advance. :happy0180:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I picked up a bag of juvies from Pete as well to give these guys another shot. I kept some in the past (actually Pete has them now in his group) and I found them to be pretty easy going on other fish they were kept with (mostly cryptoheros types). They were rough on one another, so much so that I had to separate them to keep them from killing one another. Of course, I never had a breeding pair, so don't know what happens when they reach that size. I'd give them a chance to get some size on them then throw them in with the others.

Tony

I picked up a bag of juvies from Pete as well to give these guys another shot. I kept some in the past (actually Pete has them now in his group) and I found them to be pretty easy going on other fish they were kept with (mostly cryptoheros types). They were rough on one another, so much so that I had to separate them to keep them from killing one another. Of course, I never had a breeding pair, so don't know what happens when they reach that size. I'd give them a chance to get some size on them then throw them in with the others.

Thanks Jon. Will let them put on some size and likely introduce them when I make the tank swap. Lots of wood and hiding spots planned for the 125.

TMSB805

Members
You'll be fine with them in a community setting. I'm currently keeping a 9" male and two 6" females. They def the more mild mannered of the amphlilophus. They're the biggest I have in the tank and don't bother any of the smaller cichlids to include some 2" godmanni grow outs

Tony

Awesome! Thanks Rich and Zach. :happy0180:

New to all these fancy New World fish, lol.

rsretep

Members
Hey Tony

When I started out with the Lyonsii they were about two inches long and I bought three (turned out they were all male) I have kept them in my 75 gallon the entire time I have had them (April 2007) I only have one remaining male from the original group, thanks to Rich and Jon I now have five, one breeding pair, 2 sub. male and another female.

Over the years I have kept them with numerous tankmates such as geophagus, cutteri, and two Carpintis. They have always done well with their tankmates (like others have said them being the "mild' Amphilophus) I have video of all of these combinations and am working on figuring out how to post them. Good luck with them Tony I know you will give them a good home.