• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Good Day ...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I did my water changes this morning before heading out to Tropical Fish World to spend a little of my birthday money. I got home after picking up a little a. robertsoni and chatting with Andrew (thanks again for your help). I checked in my 180G, and two pairs of cutteri have spawned, one one each side of the tank. Then I went up stairs to check on my leucistic HRP's that I moved out of the big tank, and they are fanning eggs as well!:jumpy:

I think that someone must have had the Barry White on while I was out.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Matt - You are a trip. It took me a few seconds to pick up on the Ice Cube reference.

Today's update - both sets of cutteri eggs are no where to be seen. This was the first spawn for both pairs, so I didn't expect much. The leucistic HRP's are still fanning a big bunch of orange eggs, so I am thinking wigglers will be here tomorrow.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Good talking to you too, Jon. The cutteri will spawn again soon. If they are anything like their cousins, they should be in some form of spawning cycle for a while and you will have eggs again soon. Congrats on the HRPs.

Jumbie

Members
I tell people all the time to turn the lights off and play some Barry White and Marvin Gaye..works all the time. BTW congrats bro!!!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
2/3/10 Update:

We have wigglers! It is a pretty big spawn, I'd guess there are probably around 100 little ones hanging out in the flower pot in the tank. I'm pretty stoked about this. I have had the pair for close to a year and this is their first successful spawn. I guess being in a tank to themselves was what they were looking for. I'll get some pics when they are big enough to see on my crummy camera.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Today's update:

I have free swimming fry as of today. The female took them out of the clay pot where they laid eggs this morning for the first time. I would estimate the brood at about 100.

marge618

CCA member
2/3/10 Update:

We have wigglers! It is a pretty big spawn, I'd guess there are probably around 100 little ones hanging out in the flower pot in the tank. I'm pretty stoked about this. I have had the pair for close to a year and this is their first successful spawn. I guess being in a tank to themselves was what they were looking for. I'll get some pics when they are big enough to see on my crummy camera.

Congrats! 100 wrigglers must look like a 'fish cloud". Looking forward to pictures.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
2/9/10 Update

Here are some bad pics. My point and shoot just doesn't take very good fish shots.

The first two are of dad and the fry swimming below him. They are about the same color as the gravel, so they are hard to see. The third pic is of the whole tank, and you can see the female pretty well. My camera doesn't do justice to the blues and reds in their fins.

A rookie mistake is the lack of protection on the filter intake tubes. I am pretty sure I have lost some of the fry to the filter. Unfortunately, I just managed to get my driveway cleared and did not have time to get to the pet store.

I'll post more pics as they get bigger.

Feb 9 2010 013.jpg

Feb 9 2010 017.jpg

Feb 9 2010 021.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Carefully check the filter and you will surely discover some of the fry. I found kribensis fry in a canister filter nearly three weeks after the spawn was free swimming.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I pulled about 20 fry out of the bottom of the aquaclear filter today. It was really cool to see the female go and find them and move them to the rest of the pack as I dropped them back in the tank. It was a surgical strike team, she would move out and find a little one, and the male would watch over the swarm. After she found all of them, she must have thought that the swordtails in the tank had something to do with her missing babies because she went and took a bite out of each of them.

Any recommendations for protection on the filter intakes once I can finally get out of the house? Would a foam block from an AC filter be sufficient and not cut back the flow on the filter too much?

Thanks,
Jon

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I did my water changes this morning before heading out to Tropical Fish World to spend a little of my birthday money. I got home after picking up a little a. robertsoni and chatting with Andrew (thanks again for your help). I checked in my 180G, and two pairs of cutteri have spawned, one one each side of the tank. Then I went up stairs to check on my leucistic HRP's that I moved out of the big tank, and they are fanning eggs as well!:jumpy:

I think that someone must have had the Barry White on while I was out.

LOL! You got that right Brother Jon!:)))
14-Barry-White-Staying-Power.jpg