• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Couple of My DIY Stands, Pic Heavy!

QuarterMiler

Members
I figured since I just joined here, I should catch up and post up a couple of the DIY projects I've done;). The first 2 were done almost 4 years ago, while the last was done last week. Enjoy!:)

This is my 125g DIY stand and canopy. All oak plywood, except for the top and inner floor, with pocket hole and glue construction. Front frame is 1x3 oak. All trim is oak molding. Exposed plywood edges were finished with oak iron on laminate strips, which were easy to trim and install and worked very well. Lighting is 2 3' T5 strips from Home Depot, which have since been retrofitted with Sylvania Advanve T5HO ballasts. 3' NO T5 bulbs were nearly impossible to find, necessitating the change. Both pieces were hand finished with 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

The second is for a standard 20g, another oak plywood build with leftovers from the first. Same basic construction except that I incorporated a shelf for our movie and game console DVD's. All of my cichlid books also reside on the bottom now. This tank was used to house my shellies(since sold).

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

The last is a double stand for some 12" depth tanks. I needed to rearrange 2 of my 33 longs for better accessibility. It's 8' long, so there is still room to set up 2 more tanks up to 36" long on the same stand. I used dado style construction, ala Ted Judy's website. I used some left over stainless steel brackets from work to anchor it to the wall because of the thin profile and it is rock steady. Total supply cost was about $30, with total labor time to build and set up at about 5 hrs.

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

JasonC

Members
Good stuff! Love the pull out shelf on the first stand... definitely filing that idea away for future use....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow Don. Super clean work. Very impressive.

I think I need a canopy for my 180... Could use a lighting upgrade without lighting up the whole basement in the process.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The stands look great. Makes me want to set up some new tanks just so I can build the stands.

Tony, if you decide to build a canopy, let me know. I built the one on my 180 and could go through the build with you and some lessons learned.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Tony, if you decide to build a canopy, let me know. I built the one on my 180 and could go through the build with you and some lessons learned.

Nah, Don's is much prettier than yours. I may just talk to him instead. :p

Really though, appreciate the offer and will take you up on it in the spring. :)

QuarterMiler

Members
How much would you charge to do a stand no canopy needed?????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Honestly, I don't know. It's pretty labor intensive to build so the cost plus the materials can add up quick. I was able to find the time because I was laid off at that point. FWIW, if memory serves, the oak and other material to build the stand alone was $200+. Factor in time and you're probably talking $5-600.