• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

5 gallon heater suggestions

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the really small Cobalts don't have a thermostat, so you can't set the temperature. At least, the one I have is like that.

Becca

Members
Preferably one with a thermostat. This is for quarantine/hospital tank for African cichlids.

I think the smallest you'll find with a thermostat is the Eheim Jaeger 10 watt. There are other companies that make 10 watt heaters, but Jaegers are my top choice next to the Cobalt Neo Therm.

zendog

I like the Jaeger 50 watt for a quarantine, but that would usually be for a 10 gallon. So I guess I'd use the 25 watt Jaeger for a 5.5. My tanks are in a basement that gets to the mid to low 60s in the winter so I need the wattage to push the temps up to the 80s if I'm trying to treat for ick.

Becca

Members
I like the Jaeger 50 watt for a quarantine, but that would usually be for a 10 gallon. So I guess I'd use the 25 watt Jaeger for a 5.5. My tanks are in a basement that gets to the mid to low 60s in the winter so I need the wattage to push the temps up to the 80s if I'm trying to treat for ick.

Yeah, that's what I meant, 50 watt, not 10 watt!

Zepp914

CCA Members
You are going to want to get a 50W for your 5 gallon tank. Some of the 25W and 15W won't heat up above 75F in a 5 gallon tank. I haven't tried Cobalt, but I have had problems with almost every other brand out there. I use cheap Marina heaters in my 3-5 gallon betta tanks. The thermostat is way off (I set it to 84F to keep it at 76F), but they have lasted me a few years. I have never taken one up to 80+ though. My Jaeger died in 6 months, my Marineland heater died in 2 or 3 months so I couldn't trust it, and the 50W Tetra heater wouldn't go above 72F on the highest setting. I also tried a 50W no-name heater from Ebay for my quarantine tank. It worked, but the light flickered a lot so I didn't trust it.

Good luck! Heaters are terrible.

Are the thermostat setting reliable in any heater?