• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

45 gallon mbuna tank stocking ideas?

thanks to Tony's fabulous yellow labs, I'm now on a bit of a mbuna kick. I currently have these in my 45 gallon tank with one male blue orchid peacock -- who's not really digging the new guys and looks sort of out of place. So I'm going to remove him. I can leave the tank as a lab colony OR I can toy with adding something? ideas? Rusties come to mind, but I've never been thrilled with their coloration. Tony suggested afra, but I don't know much about their personality. Other suggestions welcome . . .

verbal

CCA Members
The footprint of 45 is pushing it a bit for mbuna, but I think afra are one of the best options. If you want to replace the yellow labs, Labidochromis chimulsae is a nice fish that could work also.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I really like the look of pseudotropheus 'elongatus chewere. I had one male with some labs and acei in a 54 corner and had no problem. I have no idea how more than one or a m/f pair would work out. Perhaps others can chime in.

I'll look that up, Andrew. You always give me good suggestions.
I was also thinking p. acei until they get too big and then moving them.

I"m loving my new addition -- some white tailed acei from Tony! The "gang" is quite happy in the tank, which is sort of my first "community" mbuna tank.

mbunatank.jpg

acei.jpg