• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

300 Gallon Build Thread

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thank you, this is the first "big tank" I've owned. Been keeping nano reef tanks exclusively for the past 10yrs.
African's were the jump into the SW world - so its only fair that I come back.

Looking to go larger peacocks/haps.
Big FW tank will probably be easier and cheaper to maintain than the nano reef tanks. I had a nanocube back in the day, was fun but tedious. Soon you'll be ready to diversify and add more tanks so you can try other options... We call it MTS. Large male hap tanks are fun to watch, especially when you have a lot of space. Glad to see it moving along.

BrendanG

CCA Members
Big FW tank will probably be easier and cheaper to maintain than the nano reef tanks. I had a nanocube back in the day, was fun but tedious. Soon you'll be ready to diversify and add more tanks so you can try other options... We call it MTS. Large male hap tanks are fun to watch, especially when you have a lot of space. Glad to see it moving along.

Ha. I already appreciate the difference is expense - especially when it comes to livestock.
As for MTS - I’ll try my best limit my chances of coming down with this debilitating condition. These two tanks are more than enough!

Happy to hear you enjoyed the nano reef. Hardest part is dialing them in so that they can be “hands off”. It makes being easy to leave for a week long trip possible lol

I currently have an 8.8g on my kitchen counter. Over the years I’ve learned to keep them low tech - this one gets a 2g WC about every other month, no chemical additives and periodic feedings. Low maintenance corals and a few SPS also help.

What I’m really looking forward to in this FW tank is how effectively it’ll manage nutrients and how the water volume impacts tank stability. I’m assuming the biggest balancing act will be less about the tank itself and moreso about managing aggression between tank inhabitants.

What I’ll really be needing help with is appropriate stocking. Individuals/order ect. But thinking juvenile and less aggressive types in first.

98758861-C3CD-447C-8CC5-0F8798ED7843.jpeg

BCC32967-2BEC-4F0C-9CA8-923EAD436193.jpeg

32049271-5289-4B8B-9983-89F137219B3D.jpeg

BrendanG

CCA Members
Had the chance to connect with WetSleeves and RoniZ this evening. It was a great time Talkin fish and beginning the process of really stocking this tank.

I’ve never really been a fan of hybrids - but the dragon bloods he has are stunning. Turquoise faces. Blue bodies. White blazes. They look phenomenal.
I kept it basic tonight. And went with:

A. Baenschi
A. Reubenscens
P. Steveni Taiwan

to accompany my P. Phenochilus Tanzania. Needless to say he wasn’t too happy, got pretty fired up and the typical displaying but all should settle in a few days.

In the meantime I’m currently working on mounting these Par38s to some track lighting that will be directly over the tank.

They have a good 14-18k spectrum that’s hard to catch over the phone without a orange/yellow filter - but really showcase the cichlid’s color well.

43916410-4015-49D6-A2E9-D575D49D23DB.jpeg

FFA93FB1-D0EA-4203-B474-94C41F03E27A.jpeg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Brett and Ron are good resources, plenty of people here that can provide valuable input on stocking tips and suggestions. You're right in the aggression management will probably require more diligence than the nutrient management. If you've become proficient in reef maintenance, FW bioload should be a simple transition. Best of luck, and stocking looks good so far, look forward to continuing updates.

BrendanG

CCA Members
Thank you,

I’m hoping between tank size, cooler water temps, frequent feedings, enough dissimilar species I can maintain a level of peace. So far there’s no major aggression between my current 4, but I attribute that to luck and being juvenile fish.

I’m hopeful the introduction of one larger individual “king of the tank” will help curb any restlessness should it come up.

For now - the plan is to stock some of the relatively peaceful peacocks and haps and allow them to grow and become established before I throw in some of the more boisterous haps - I’d really like a Fusco and Buccochromis.

it’s been a busy week - still haven’t gotten around to mounting my track lighting yet - but all in all everyone is doing extremely well. Carefully considering my stock list and looking to add a few more this weekend.

72498D2C-CE71-4851-9C14-E838C6AC21A5.jpeg

DECFE353-64F1-4366-9893-45B5EF9B9A9B.jpeg

B6BBFBB1-1A38-441F-98DA-BA783D22897D.jpeg

Last edited:

BrendanG

CCA Members
looks great, nice looking additions-enjoy

Thank you, so far so good. Added a few more this weekend.

S. Fryeri - 1.75"
S. Fryeri White Knight - 1.75"
O. Lithobates Z Rock - 2.25"
P. Taeniolatus - 3.25"
A. Stuartgranti Flavescent - 4"

So far everyone has acclimated well, with the Flavescent getting the welcome wagon from my A. Baenschi.
Nothing too over the top - no lip locking yet, but mild chasing and a fair bit of displaying. The Flavescent is definitely holding his own.
I think in a few days they'll iron out the new hierarchy. Looking to add maybe 3 more species before I really let the tank settle in and mature.
Really looking to achieve a level of color balance - and not go too blue dominant.

Looking to source appropriate synodontis clean up crew and a few designer plecos next.

BrendanG

CCA Members
I love the look of the tank. The spotlight is particularly striking!

Thank you, it has a dramatic affect.
We'll see how it pans out with the track lighting. 2 or 3 bulbs - I haven't decided yet. I'll need to play with angles to really illuminate focal points and dial in light spread.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
For synodontis, Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd has quality petricola/lucipinnis and they do well in groups, others can be territorial.

Just be careful with the plecos, most like acidic or neutral water, and a lot of them don't eat algae if that was your intent.

BrendanG

CCA Members
For synodontis, Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd has quality petricola/lucipinnis and they do well in groups, others can be territorial.

Just be careful with the plecos, most like acidic or neutral water, and a lot of them don't eat algae if that was your intent.

I agree, def more of a show piece and waste producer than diehard algae eater. I think the key is careful acclimation - to higher pH and gh levels (drip acclimation ect.)
I've seen quite a few Loricads in rift lake tanks - but not sure if it has a long term impact on health and longevity.
Anyone with experience with some of the fancier L species are welcome to chime in.

I had a mango and gold nugget do well for a number of years in my previous African Tank - even swapped them over to a more appropriate SA biotope with no ill effects.

BrendanG

CCA Members
Great looking tank and fish. Do you have any specific species you are looking to add in the future?

Thank you.
Still haven't quite figured out the right side of the tank. Might add just a little more rockwork.

I'd like to round out the list with
O. Lithobates Black Dorsal
A. Lawanda
P. Insignis Tanzania
P. Miloto VC-10
C. Borleyi
A. Jacobfribergi (yellow jake) - might be tricky
(3-4) synodontis petricola or (1) synodontis angelicus

And a few of the larger predator haps to be added last.
N. Venustus
N. Fusco
Buccochromis rhoadesii

I'm open to suggestions/recommendations and potential contacts to source quality stock.

BrendanG

CCA Members
How's the tank going? Are you happy with the foam in the sump?

so far so good. Haven’t changed the water since I added the first fish -tried the dip tests today and nitrates aren’t over 10ppm. Ammonia is still undetectable.

I’ve been feeding formula 1 and 2 flakes, NLS pellets and saltwater frozen variety packs relatively heavily - still haven’t quite seen any nutrient spikes yet.

Still learning how this tank processes waste/bio loads but the foam is certainly doing its job

CichlidDan

Members
Thank you.
Still haven't quite figured out the right side of the tank. Might add just a little more rockwork.

I'd like to round out the list with
O. Lithobates Black Dorsal
A. Lawanda
P. Insignis Tanzania
P. Miloto VC-10
C. Borleyi
A. Jacobfribergi (yellow jake) - might be tricky
(3-4) synodontis petricola or (1) synodontis angelicus

And a few of the larger predator haps to be added last.
N. Venustus
N. Fusco
Buccochromis rhoadesii

I'm open to suggestions/recommendations and potential contacts to source quality stock.
Nice list of fish. People with quality stock that I've purchased from are lkelly lkelly and Pat Kelly Pat Kelly .

BrendanG

CCA Members
Before and After:

Maybe this will motivate me to mount this track lighting that’s been sitting next to this tank for weeks.

I’m expecting about a month or so before these vals really acclimate to the new environment - and pose an existential threat to open water swimming space once they take off.

I’m really looking to keep it contained to that section of the tank - and will use rock barriers and pruning to keep the jungle tamed.

Rumor has it root tabs for adequate iron supplementation, hard water and adequate surface agitation (if you’re not dosing CO2) is the trick to good growth - if anyone has any recommendations do let me know!

4ADBC90D-877A-4FEB-9EA8-8DFC02E11D5F.jpeg

C7C3E2BA-8490-4745-8F45-D11228EB1DEF.jpeg

CichlidDan

Members
Before and After:

Maybe this will motivate me to mount this track lighting that’s been sitting next to this tank for weeks.

I’m expecting about a month or so before these vals really acclimate to the new environment - and pose an existential threat to open water swimming space once they take off.

I’m really looking to keep it contained to that section of the tank - and will use rock barriers and pruning to keep the jungle tamed.

Rumor has it root tabs for adequate iron supplementation, hard water and adequate surface agitation (if you’re not dosing CO2) is the trick to good growth - if anyone has any recommendations do let me know!

View attachment 24766

View attachment 24767
Lookin good. Hopefully you will have better luck with plants. My peacocks and haps would destroy any plants I tried.

BrendanG

CCA Members
Lookin good. Hopefully you will have better luck with plants. My peacocks and haps would destroy any plants I tried.

I’m with ya there. So far I don’t seem to have many diggers - and most are Juvies/sub adults.

How’d they demolish your plants? Constant uprooting?

CichlidDan

Members
I’m with ya there. So far I don’t seem to have many diggers - and most are Juvies/sub adults.

How’d they demolish your plants? Constant uprooting?
Mainly tearing and uprooting them. Some plants they would eat. The most luck I had was with some anubias and java fern since I'd put them in between rocks.