• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

1900 gallon tank idea help

69cichlids

Members
Haha well we are in iowa might be a long commute for ya lol and so far for my stock a was thinking a few fancy gold fish...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

69cichlids

Members
So my father in law and I went fishing today and we went by some wind turbines and told me he was thinking about buying plans someone has on the internet to build your own turbine to power your home. He said the cost is 200 for the plan plus materials and then free power so depending on how much power I could get off of one of those I might just build one to power my tank. Fyi fancy gold fish comment was a joke. I kinda thinking building 2 1000 gal tanks and putting them next to each other one tank either a bunch of african cichlids or some other kind, iv been liking the peacock bass more and more...then the other tank maybe, maybe some trout wouldn't need that one heated. Just ideas on stock...probly won't keep trout tho be to tempted to drop a line in for supper lol

Hawkman2000

Members
I don't know... someone tell's me there's a 2000 gallon aquarium built into the basement, I don't care if the place even has a bathroom anymore.

A tank with a filter that size might be able to handle the waste from the human occupants in the house. HA!!

BTW, where in Iowa are you. I am original from the Quad City area.

Hawkman2000

Members
I'm in the cedar rapids area

No ****, my aunt lived in Ceder rapids for about 25 years. just moved to des moines about a years ago. Nice area, great deer hunting. I wonder if cichlids would like dried venison.:sign0018:

Good luck with your build.

fishman13

Members
Beyond the monster pump, you're going to need a vessel that will hold bio-media capable of filtering this flow. I'm thinking something like a couple of large trashcans with that plastic lightweight bio-media (the name escapes me now, but you should be able to find it on MFK. Then there's mechanical filtration... Maybe stacking several layers of Poret foam. To handle the flow, you will need a lot of surface area to avoid clogs.

BIOBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

fishman13

Members
We gona see pics of you progressivly building and stocking the tank????????PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:D:D:D:D:D:D

69cichlids

Members
Lol well I'm just getting ideas right now for the project, before this I would have to update the whole house that we are looking at buying. For filtration instead of one big sump I'm thinking maybe 4 smaller sumps that would be taking and returning in different areas of the tank

toddnbecka

Members
Poret foam would be much better than bioballs for the sump/s. They're mainly useful for SW wet/dry filters, not so much for FW biomedia. I really prefer aquaclear filters because the sponges do both mechanical and bio filtration, and they're easy to access and clean with partial water changes. Poret foam and sumps would be the same thing, just on a larger scale.

69cichlids

Members
We gona see pics of you progressivly building and stocking the tank????????PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:D:D:D:D:D:D

For the stock I'm still not sure I'm still thinking about it I have lots of ideas, was thinking about stacking a huge rock pile in the back and then have some drift wood in the middle and have a bunch of different cichlids. Or do rays...or peacock bass, gar, catfish, the list goes on and on lol

mdlnewman

Members
Poret foam would be much better than bioballs for the sump/s. They're mainly useful for SW wet/dry filters, not so much for FW biomedia. I really prefer aquaclear filters because the sponges do both mechanical and bio filtration, and they're easy to access and clean with partial water changes. Poret foam and sumps would be the same thing, just on a larger scale.

Actually pretty much noone in SW uses bioballs anymore. They are a nitrate factory in the making. Dunno if they do that in fresh water or not.

fishman13

Members
Ewwwwwwwwwwww.....big fish....fish like that get realy big realy ugly and realy mean. Peacock bass are the exception but still. Go with a big malawi tank. You can never go wrong with that.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres

+1.

I've switched over to several sheets of Poret in the sump for my 180. Good stuff.

No, My canister filter for my malawi tank is all bio balls and nothing else, the water is always clear.

That's pretty hard to believe. Without having any mechanical filtration, that filter really isn't doing all that much.