• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

180 Gallon Mbuna tank

Cbster

Members
How many fish would you put in it. We have a pretty good supplier in the St. Louis area with lots of different fish. They told me 45 to 50. What do you think? I don't want to buy more than I have to. Filtration is fils tar fx4, fils tar fx5, sump with 950 gph pump. Bought three yesterday to make sure everything was working alright before the big purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you chose groups carefully, you could easily house 6-7 species in the tank. Start with groups of 6-8 juveniles each. Make sure that the species are different enough that they will not interbreed, otherwise you'll end up with a tank full of brown fish down the road (that you won't be able to get rid of).

dogofwar

CCA Members
You might check out one of the fish clubs in the St. Louis area to see what's available.

Also, post your proposed stocking plan and some of the experience Malawi folks can make suggestions...

Matt

Wblaze

Members
I would think that you would want at least a group of Labs - Yellow (common but great STEELER colors) or the more unique Clown (White with clown makeup like black markings.) The scientific names are Labidochromis chisumulae and Labidochromis caeruleus

verbal

CCA Members
There are a lot of possibilities. You should probably list a few species that appeal to you and get some recommendations to build around them.

Cbster

Members
Not very good pics but these guys are hard to take a pic of.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1359670961.147613.jpg
This is a new tank setup. So I bought three fish to put in there just to make sure that everything is in order. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1359670961.147613.jpg

Last edited:

Hannibal

Members
Its a little hard to tell from the pictures but the first picture you posted appears to be a Melanochromis Auratus
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/m_auratus.php

They are mean as hell. I had one that was beating up on my other cichlids until I separated him from the others. Then he got bloat and died.

As for the other fish, see if you can get some better pictures of them.