• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

150g mbuna setup

STATMATT

Members
Thought I'd post some pics as to how the tank is comming along, I'm still waiting for the part to fix the cross brace, (someone at work is helping me with it and keeps forgetting.) But the tank is cycling and comming along really well.

This is what the tank looks like from the front.
picture.php

And from the left hand side along the front of the glass...
picture.php

No heating on it yet, but I bought a Ranco Temperature Controller with 500W titanium Heater go go along the back. I used black contact paper to cover the background to hide the cords and a basic "shop" two bulb 48" strip light for the lighting. Its cycled and ready for fish. so I'll probably put together an order soon for the fish I cannot obtain locally.

STATMATT

Members
It's been a year and this tank is back. My friend at work took way too long to assist me with the cross brace fix. I moved all the rocks into another 150 and last night I finally pryed off the old brace peices with pliers and replaced the frame with one that Capitol Aquarium ordered for me. So I'm starting from scratch again. I really like the Mbuna and am probably going to make another trip over to VDOT land to pick up some more slag. I want to try and pick up some of that COLORFAST sand they use for swimming pools for substrate. I got a bag of sand from Capitol Aquarium manufactured in Culpepper about two years ago, that I really like the diameter of the sand, but I haven't been able to locate another bag. all the sand grains are too small. If someone has any good ideas for substrate that aren't going to cost me over $100 bucks I'm game!. I will use eggcrate this time. The other 150 looks fantastic. I have wiliamsi in it that I bought from fischfan and they are bluing up nicely. Then the white top Haras are really cool that I got from an auction.
I'm going to stick with Tony and try and maintain the integrity so I don't want to put anything in the tank that may interbreed. But I'm back to the drawing board as to what to fill it with. Maybe I'm pushing for a tang tank, but I don't know...

Ciao! (I renewed my membership today, how did i not know that it had expired?)

STATMATT

Members
Both tanks are running well. I have a set of 9 Labidochromis Sp. Hongi that I got from Fischfan last year. They are starting to color up with their purples. The other 150G that I moved all the rocks to has had some issues with fish vanishing. I had put 10 Williamsi in there, but I think I'm down to four. I had two White Top Hara's, but now I only have one, it is a stellar male. I ended up going with pool filter sand for the substrate for both tanks. It took me forever to replace the broken brace, but I'm glad it is done. I keep checking for another species to show up for sale that I can buy a dozen or so from my original list, but nothing seems to be popping up. I will retire from the Army this year so maybe I'll then have an opportunity to come to the meetings. Overall my tanks Rock!

STATMATT

STATMATT

Members
If only Aquamainia didn't conflict with my Army Duties I'd be all over it. It seems like most of the CCA events are the second weekend of the month. That happens to be the same weekend as battle assembly.

Oh Retirement couldn't come soon enough!
:angel2:

STATMATT

Members
I just put in my order with Dave. Hopefully he has everything in stock still.

10 @ Tropheops sp. ''Elongatus Boadzulu'' Kanchedza Island
10 @ Pseudotropheus saulosi Taiwanee Reef
10 @ Metriaclima sp. ''Elongatus Chailosi'' Chitande
10 @ Aulonocara hueseri Likoma Island ''Midnight''
6 @ Synodontis lucipinnis ''Dwarf Petricola''

STATMATT

STATMATT

Members
It's really busied up. I've got 40 fish in the one 150. It takes me half an hour to get a good count on the 4 species that are in there and make sure everyone is OK. Right now I'm a little worried about having an Amonia/Nitrite spike even though the tank was already established with 12 Fish. The other 150 has a White Top Hara that is just stellar! I need to get more drops to test the water. I am going with a weekly water change right now, so this Saturday its hi ho hi ho its buckets of water to go!

chris_todd

Members
You're changing the water on a 150 with buckets?!?!?!?! :eek: I think you will find the investment in a Python to be the greatest thing that ever happened to your fish keeping hobby. Even if you need to get 100 feet of hose, believe me, it's worth it.

Amazing rock work, BTW! Very cool looking tank - give us some pictures of it fully stocked, please!

Jefft

Members
I was thinking the same thing....

if you got to remove a fish from that tank please record that an post here . WAO

LOL My thoughts exactly.. If you ever have to catch a fish from this tank you will have a hell of a work out to remove all the rocks, drain your water, catch your fish and then put all the rocks back.. lol I do not envy you that chore.

STATMATT

Members
Yes, removing fish isn't a priority. I've done it by draining the water level down to almost nothing, holding it in Rubber maid bins and then using a pump to pump the water back into the tank once the culprit fish is caught. But at this point if a fish gets picked on they tend to congregate in a corner by the filter outlet where I can fish them out easily.

Part of the problem in the winter is that I don't have a warm water source in the basement. So for water changes I typically fill up several rubbermaid bins and then use old heaters to heat them. Then the next day after treating and buffering, I use the pump to pump it back into the tank. I do use the python, but it drains so slowly. So I've created a drain using 2 inch PVC that drains over half the tank in less than a minute. It goes into the sump in the stairwell to my basement and pumps the water up into the yard. At first I was afraid the salt would kill the grass, but that area has the greenest grass in my yard.

I'm looking at getting one of these 300 gallon tall containers for water storage so I can have it buffered and treated and ready for a water change.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/3732/300-gallon-vertical-plastic-storage-tank-vt0300-35

Currently I'm using one FX 5 and one Rena Fillstar on the tank.

I just reviewed the photos, and I'd made some changes that weren't exactly explained. Since the cross strut on the 150 long was broken I had moved almost all of the rock into a 150 Tall using the preferred method of the light filter things under the sand. So the rock work is just as incredible, just doesn't match what you are imagining from the original pictures. I'll post pictures soon.

With the 150 long, I don't have much as far as rocks in there right now. I have about 50 pounds of lace rock. I'm looking to add about 100-150 pounds more. As far as the rocks now that I have them in the 150 tall, I won't be able to get them out without putting a pully into the rafters. (I dont have the strength after a back injury) Some of those rocks are 80 pounds and longer than the cross brace so you have to put them in at an angle and then turn them to the desired position. Lace rock is appealing because It stacks without looking stacked and I can move it piece by piece. No doubt the granite is super heavy.

Research right now for me is into LEDs and Upflow Algae Scrubbers. I think it would be great to have two of these going and then instead of cleaning it give it to the fish to eat, while you put the old one back in. I'm researching magnets to hold it in place. Plus I don't have an air pump and want to make sure I get a good one. I'll post pictures soon of both tanks. I'm looking at ordering magnets right now to make my own algae scraper, but I'm a noncommital researcher.

Thanks for the interest and I'll post pictures soon.

Matt

Last edited: