• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

150 Hap Tank Wipe

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Not sure Holly. Honestly, didn't bother taking water parameters as the 8# worth of dead fish probably did not do it justice.

I'd like to be able to age water, but with four 6' tanks and 25 others, it's not practical. I do the typical python water changes with dechlor added directly to the tank (enough to treat the whole gallonage and not just that being added).

I've never had any problems before. Haven't had a total tank wipe in about 5 years... and that one involved CO2.

Last edited:
No, you guys with the big tanks couldn't possibly do the aging. And I've always been extra generous with the Prime. So it's all very strange.

Out of an abundance of paranoia, I try not to do water changes if I'm going to be leaving the house soon after.

dogofwar

CCA Members
So sorry to hear about your losses, Tony!

Not sure what to say than that you gave them really good lives for a long time...and that you now have some free tank space...

take care,
Matt

Charlutz

Members
Sorry man. Only thing worse than losing fish is losing fish and believing something you did was responsible. We've all been there. We'll all be there again, but it makes it no easier to get through it when it happens. I nearly had my own disaster as I was leaving for vacation. Did all my water changes and then made one last check of the fishroom to find that the GFI switch that has all 3 filters on my 125 tripped. Couldn't figure out where the problem was so ran an extension cord from another outlet. We all narrowly avert disaster when we're lucky. Other times, disaster hits. Sorry again.

Wow, so sorry for your losses! I had to skip over the pics, though. Can't stand to see dead anything. I picked up some fry from Pat McMahon on Friday (McFluffrichromis) and he has some nice, big fish in the 180 and 110 he's trying to get rid of........I can PM you his cell # if you want!

fischfan13

Banned
A Suggestion for the 150g

66872-bigthumbnail.jpg

Tony

Wow, so sorry for your losses! I had to skip over the pics, though. Can't stand to see dead anything. I picked up some fry from Pat McMahon on Friday (McFluffrichromis) and he has some nice, big fish in the 180 and 110 he's trying to get rid of........I can PM you his cell # if you want!

There's only two pics of dead fish in the third post. The rest are pretty good shots I think. :)

I appreciate it Ruth, but probably going to take a break on the big haps for now. I still have quite a few breeding groups and a bunch of stuff growing out in the 125 in the fish room, but think I'm probably going to leave the 150 empty for a bit to make sure things are kosher.

Once I get it cleared, I thinking of going in a completely new direction with that tank...

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
There's only two pics of dead fish in the third post. The rest are pretty good shots I think. :)

I appreciate it Ruth, but probably going to take a break on the big haps for now. I still have quite a few breeding groups and a bunch of stuff growing out in the 125 in the fish room, but think I'm probably going to leave the 150 empty for a bit to make sure things are kosher.

Once I get it cleared, I thinking of going in a completely new direction with that tank...
COME ON OVER TO THE NEW WORLD...YOU WONT BE SORRY. ;)

Spine

Members
Sorry to hear about the loss Tony. I had problems with a couple tanks the last time I was away for a week(used vacation food). Now I feed a little heavier during the week before I leave for a vacation. I'll do a water change a couple days before I go if I have time, if not I just leave it the way it is and go. If I'm only going to be gone for a week I don't even have anyone feed,they just make sure the power is on. I found that trying to do to much before vacation makes me tired on vacation,lol.

When you restock Greenwoodochromis bellcrossi would be a good one:D

Tony -- taking some time out to ponder possibilities is OK. But the big haps worked so well in that tank and you need to ignore those New World types . . .

I made the mistake, when my 58 crashed, to give away much of my African rock and substrate and refuse to consider Malawi again. I almost got out of the hobby entirely. But eventually I missed my pretty fish and, most of all, my pretty synodontis.

So, my advice is take your time and consider before you make any drastic changes of direction.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure which would be worse, sucking on a real bio-wheel or a, uh, metaphorical one.... ;)

While we're deciding what kinds of fish that Tony should keep, how about Madagascars?

Matt

Tony

That right there may be just about the greatest quote ever. :p

Relax, my fellow African-enthusiast, my old-world tanks aren't going anywhere.

I need to give it some time to pay homage to my fallen haps, but have been leaning towards South America for a while now....