• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Something bad is going on in my tank, need help diagnosing/curing

bossanova

Members
Can also try Cichlid-forum but it doesn't seem to get the same amount of traffic it did a few years back, not sure why

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
How would I go about doing that? I've never done anything like that before.
How do I find a lab/does the sample need to be on ice & shipped/etc?

And what sort of info would I get back? Enough for me to act on myself (in other words would they be able to tell me what meds to use to treat the fish and that sort of thing? Or would I get back a stack of complicated paperwork that means nothing to me?

I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to find a lab, but I guarantee if you look around/internet search, you'll find one. Directions will be given to you, but most likely there will be some preservation of the sample that needs to occur. It all depends on how much $$$ you are looking to spend to save the little buggers.

As for the hospital tank, I'm not sure how many sick you had. I was just merely saying that isolation as soon as possible would be a good start.

Most diseases start due to some stress to the fish. This can be water quality, temperature, lighting, environment, moving or addition of fish, and a host of other things. You also need to find that source of stress so that this doesn't happen again. Like ich, a lot of diseases are in the water column naturally. Fish don't become susceptible until they are stressed out and their immune system/defenses are compromised.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Piggybacking on Cory's response, a lot of times the stress can start from inadequate water changes. I think you mentioned your water changes were fairly frequent, but I didn't reread every response to be sure. Just wanted to make sure, but even daily water changes aren't a bad idea when something like that is going on.

One thing to consider though, if you have more than one tank, you'll need to either dedicate a set of equipment to the tank, or sterilize it after every use before being used on any other tanks.

I don't have any specific information on the issue, just some general advice on how to proceed. Good luck!

Becca

Members
How would I go about doing that? I've never done anything like that before.
How do I find a lab/does the sample need to be on ice & shipped/etc?

And what sort of info would I get back? Enough for me to act on myself (in other words would they be able to tell me what meds to use to treat the fish and that sort of thing? Or would I get back a stack of complicated paperwork that means nothing to me?

I think JLW/Josh/Batfish Aquatics might be able to help you figure out how to get stuff out to a lab... No idea what is involved though... I just think he "knows people."