• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

C123 Yellowcat spawn

mchambers

Former CCA member
I would have to agree, but those guys are pretty good at this;)
They are the best in the US, except maybe for you! But Regina had had C123 before she bought mine, so she's been trying for a while.

As far as the difficulty goes, Ian Fuller told me they've never spawned for him, and he's spawned something like 150 different Corydoras species. He told me he knew someone in Europe who had done it, and I found a report in the UK. At the Facebook Corydoras Spawning Report group (yes, there is such a thing), I found one report of 100+ eggs, but no fry (or maybe one).

I have no idea why it's so hard to get them to spawn at all, let alone successfully. (I do know the secret of my success: dumb luck.)

finzz

Members
I've always thought dumb luck and persistence were a fish breeder's two best tools, or maybe just persistent dumb luck.

lkelly

Members
Congrats! I'd tell you to give yourself a pat on the back, but you know the shoulder thing and all...

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Consider me part of the dumb luck crowd. I've had many a species spawn without me trying to get them to.

But to be fair to all of us, if we are consistently trying to provide the best habitat for our fish and keeping them in the best possible health and manner available to us and our abilities, is it really luck? I don't doubt that spawning is sometimes luck as far as timing, but if you've done the work conditioning them for breeding with great food, proper water conditions, lots spawning areas and the necessary plans for fry rearing, I would say it's not luck, but proper preparation.

I know many of us do all that we can to keep our fish as happy as possible. And in return for that, they sometimes give us more little fish!

finzz

Members
Absolutely: you try and recreate the fish's natural habitat and unless they're in good shape, they won't spawn. But so many times while working with a difficult fish, things beyond our control happen that we never would have thought of trying and it turns out to be a trigger for the fish's instinct to spawn. Leaky tanks, power outages, and even moving fish around because I bought too many more at an auction have been the needed jolt that put eggs on the glass!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Totally. Some fish spawn after being moved. Some spawn in total darkness. Some spawn with drops in temperature. Some work off of the barometric pressure. Some want the tank to be left alone for months and then have a large water change. Many triggers are ones we would never think of. But unless the fish start out plump and happy, there is little chance the trigger works.

I'm just glad to be around like-minded people who can appreciate the work we put into keeping our fish happy!

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I'd say my fish are happy, if longevity is the benchmark. But easy living has made them lazy...

Blaise

finzz

Members
C123%20at%202.5%20weeks_zpseqfkwuvj.jpg

At about 2 and a half weeks, the C123 fry are doing fine and eating like crazy. I counted 32 this morning but there is still a lot of cover in the tank, so I'm assuming there are a few more. Still getting minor water changes a few times a day.

finzz

Members
Yes, it's a pain to do it this way but they're in a small tank and bigger water changes would change the water level in the tank enough so that I'd be afraid of damaging the young cat's delicate air bladders. When I'm back to work, things will change but right now I've got nothing but time to hang around the fish room.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Good point about the water levels. I've been growing my fry out in just an inch or two of water for the first month, so a 50% change doesn't do much to the depth of the water.

finzz

Members
Corydoras C123 "black"?

Probably just a color sport and something it'll outgrow, but one of the C123 youngsters is much darker than the rest. He's healthy and eating fine, so it's probably nothing to worry about anyway.
C123_black.jpg