• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

C123 Yellowcat spawn

finzz

Members
I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and have nothing better to do but wander around the fish room, which is probably the only reason I noticed the eggs in the corners of the C123 tank. I've never had a Corydoras pile eggs into little balls like these did. All four corners of the tank had piles of eggs, but none in the mops or anywhere else on the glass. The only other spot was on the power head motor (warm temp?). The fish have spawned once before and a few fry are growing out now, but there wasn't nearly as many eggs, so not enough to pile up. Some of the eggs are bad by the looks of them, but I've separated as many as I could to keep fungus from spreading.

C%20123%20eggs_zpsny6r7cjz.jpg

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Congrats, Don. Are these the fish you received from Matt in Jan? If so, that's fast work.

My C123s look good, but haven't gotten busy.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Don bought some C123 that I sold in a CCA auction in 2015, so I expect it was those fish. Maybe the youngsters he got from me last month inspired the adults!

finzz

Members
The fish I got from Matt in January were a little young: would have been a trick indeed! The breeders were the fish I got from Matt at an auction (was that CCA or JRAS?) mixed with a group of wild-caught that I got at a PVAS auction from Michael Barber. I don't know if the fish I got from Matt most recently triggered the spawn, but the breeders started to throw eggs soon after the youngsters were added to the tank.

b considine

The corys might be yellow, but I'm green (with envy).

The only corys I have that have spawned in a lump like that are my C. venezuelanus.

Blaise

finzz

Members
The corys might be yellow, but I'm green (with envy).

The only corys I have that have spawned in a lump like that are my C. venezuelanus.

Blaise

Do you still have C. venezuelanus? We should talk!

There were two varieties when they first came into the hobby: do you know which one you have? One was larger; about the size of an aeneus, and the other somewhat smaller and darker in color. The smaller one was selling by the name Corydoras venezuelanus black. I collected them in 2002 and brought a group of each back with me, but sold them all off a few years later. I always regretted it, but haven't found many around since.

b considine

Smaller and darker. I'm trading what fry I currently have to Andrew Blumhagen for some of his green lasers. (He asked at CatCon). But I'll keep you in mind. They've spawned pretty regularly, but I have trouble with fry survival after about a week.

Blaise

finzz

Members
Thanks. Yes, there are a bunch from the 2nd and 3rd spawns. It looks like there may only be one from the first spawning, though. I can't tell for sure- lots of leaves & sticks to hide under. When I flashlight the tank after the lights are out, I can count about 35 in the fry tank of the later broods
C123%201%20week_zpseb5kzzdn.jpg

finzz

Members
That's wonderful, although I am a bit sad to see my monopoly end! Congrats nevertheless.

Oh; it gets worse! I made the trip up to Eric and Regina's last week and took one of the males from my group to them. Regina has been getting eggs but no hatch from her group. I will assume that soon the rule of supply-and-demand will pull the price of the C123 down a bit.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Oh; it gets worse! I made the trip up to Eric and Regina's last week and took one of the males from my group to them. Regina has been getting eggs but no hatch from her group. I will assume that soon the rule of supply-and-demand will pull the price of the C123 down a bit.

Maybe. Regina got a group from me 2 1/2 years ago, handpicked by Eric. This fish simply isn't that easy, for some reason.

My adults were feeding aggressively at the front of the tank last night, so I got a rare good look at them. I've got three huge females that look ready to spawn, but no action thus far today.