• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apisto breathing hard

CichlidDan

Members
My male apisto is breathing hard. He looks healthy otherwise. All other fish acting normal. He’s never been chased while I watch the fish. Any ideas what could be wrong? I do weekly water changes 30%-40%.

Becca

Members
Did a water change, raised temp a little and added aquarium salt 🤞🏼
Higher temps will lower available oxygen and speed bacterial growth. I'm not sure aquarium salt does much for gill flukes but it definitely won't help with internal infection. You might try a medicated food. Angels plus makes two types.

CichlidDan

Members
Higher temps will lower available oxygen and speed bacterial growth. I'm not sure aquarium salt does much for gill flukes but it definitely won't help with internal infection. You might try a medicated food. Angels plus makes two types.
Thanks for the help Becca appreciate it. The raising temps and aquarium salt was what I found online as a suggestion for gill flukes but I was only doing that temporary til I got the right meds. I lowered the temp back down to 75 from 77. Thanks for the medicated food suggestion, I had never heard of that brand. I’ll look into them hopefully not too late he ate yesterday but ignored the food today so might have to go a different route for this time.

Frontosa

CCA Members
You can try to add garlic guard to your regular food or any food you medicate. Most fish can’t resist, especially if you plan to medicate your food.

CA7C02B3-8C72-4A3B-9FBD-B7E6BA4997AC.jpeg

CichlidDan

Members
That's a shame. If it was cacatuoides or baenschi then I would have had a male I could give you.
Thanks! The company that I got mine from will have some males available this week so I’ll order one from there. I may set up another tank and buy a baenschi pair from you. I’ll let you know.