• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Matten filters and cleaning

captmicha

Members
I was considering this for a few tanks. (I'm REALLY trying to max out my biological to cut down on maintenance.)

What is the cleaning process like though? Especially if you've got fry.

It seems like things would have to be chased from behind it and it might be a PITA to get out and back in, but I dunno so would like to.

In addition to good biological, I also have to make things as easy and cheap on myself as possible or I just can't keep up.

Rasta Fish

Members
They are the way to go little to no maintenance
I have several 29/40 gl tanks using matten filters for over 2 years no cleaning atleast not yet
Just drain and fill

FishEggs

They are the way to go little to no maintenance
I have several 29/40 gl tanks using matten filters for over 2 years no cleaning atleast not yet
Just drain and fill
As long as you dont have a dirt bottom and pit digging fish. But even then it's easy to pull the filter out rinse in a bucket and throw it back in.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use mattenfilters in all of my tanks. Some require cleaning sooner than others. Most get me at least a year before a cleaning is needed. When the need arises, I drain the water low, siphon behind the sponge and then pull the sponge for cleaning. You do have to be careful when returning the sponge to the tank to not trap fish behind it or pin them below it.