• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rim on 55 gallon separating. Is it about to blow?

IndianaSam

CCA Members
I assume that I’ll be spending the day cleaning this sucker out.

I confirmed with a level that the front glass is bowing out.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I have a 55 with a broken center brace in the middle, about where your lights are. I created a makeshift brace with JB Weld and metal brackets which lasted for several years. The tank is well over ten years old. My repair lasted for a few years then the frame separated similar to yours. It’s lasted at least two years and has been fine until two weeks ago when I found a puddle under the left corner! There is a slow drip coming from underneath the tank. It’s served me well but I’ve rehomed the fish and not replacing it. Lol I’ll have a metal 55 stand available.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I have a 55 with a broken center brace in the middle, about where your lights are. I created a makeshift brace with JB Weld and metal brackets which lasted for several years. The tank is well over ten years old. My repair lasted for a few years then the frame separated similar to yours. It’s lasted at least two years and has been fine until two weeks ago when I found a puddle under the left corner! There is a slow drip coming from underneath the tank. It’s served me well but I’ve rehomed the fish and not replacing it. Lol I’ll have a metal 55 stand available.
Leffler817 Leffler817 Double stand or just single?

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The fish and plants are out of the tank and I’ll be replacing it tomorrow.

I am really glad I caught it before any leaks happened! And this is a great chance to do some new aquascaping.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The fish and plants are out of the tank and I’ll be replacing it tomorrow.

I am really glad I caught it before any leaks happened! And this is a great chance to do some new aquascaping.
There’s a bright side to everything. Glad you found it and it is an easy transition.

JLW

CCA Members
While I think this has been well answered, I'm going to just point something out. The frame won't break by itself. It has to be under some sort of sheering pressure, such as the tank expanding. Without the frame holding it together, that pressure is only going to increase.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
I really appreciate you weighing in, Josh. I could have sworn that the tank was perfectly level, but you’d better believe that I’ll be double, triple checking the replacement. That’s six checks!