• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Diy rims?

captmicha

Members
Replacement rims/trims aren't expensive, but the shipping is... I don't have need to buy a whole bunch to make the shipping worthwhile.

Collecting broken tanks for parts is hit or miss.

Is there some other way to diy structural rims? I need them on my 55's.

I don't mean center braces, I cut metal bars for that. Can I cut and weld my own structural rims? I haven't seen any info on this when Googling. I only find info on center braces.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would think that it would be pretty easy to fabricate out of wood and screws. It really is just something to keep the glass from bowing. I have not done it myself, but from and engineering perspective, wood/screws are probably more effective than plastic. It would just be bulky.

captmicha

Members
I would think that it would be pretty easy to fabricate out of wood and screws. It really is just something to keep the glass from bowing. I have not done it myself, but from and engineering perspective, wood/screws are probably more effective than plastic. It would just be bulky.
Oh yeah! Duh. Such an obvious answer and yet it wouldn't ever have occurred to me. Thanks.

I've asked over in the diy monster fish keeping group on FB and they basically told me that while it depends on glass thickness, you can get away with broken frames on a 55 gallon.

I don't know... That's an awful lot of water outside a tank...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a 55 that, when I acquired it, had a broken center brace. I test filled the tank with the broken brace to see the effect. At the mid-point of the long side of the tank, the glass bowed about 1" (12" at the ends, 13" in the middle). This was enough for me to go purchase a new frame before using the tank. I've spilled 10 gallons of water on the floor. 55 would be a horrible mess.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
You can use a thin piece of sheet metal also. Bend your inside edges, top edges and the outer edges to go over the existing trim. paint it black or brown and I would glue it as well.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Wow such great ideas, but the frames are less expensive then all of those options and are made to fit the tank
. How much could the shipping be ? Is the time you spend making these frames really less expensive then the shipping.
JMO.