• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October Meeting

Leffler817

CCA Members
Saturday, October 13, 2018 the Capital Cichlid Association hosts:

Mike Liu - Rare and Unusual Cichlids from Africa

John F. Kennedy High School
1901 Randolph Road
Silver Spring, MD 20902

Doors open at 1 PM; meeting starts at 2 PM

I am currently the President of the New England Cichlid Association. It is through our cichlid club that I, along with a few other members, have been able to acquire some species that aren’t being kept in the hobby. I’ve been keeping tropical fish since 1983. I quickly developed an interest in Cichlids and one tank turned into 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 . . . you know the story. It turns out there are a lot of cichlids and I wanted to keep them all! My interest narrowed to New World cichlids and my claim to fame is that the first cichlid I successfully spawned was the Discus, King of the Aquarium as they were known back in the day. The second cichlid I spawned was the Convict. Yes, I took a step way back and started at the bottom of the cichlid ladder. It turned out I really liked the Convict and for many years I primarily kept Central American cichlids with the aim of spawning every species I acquired. I’ve also kept African Rift Lake Cichlids, some West African species, and a few Madagascar species. Since 2013 my interest has shifted to the cichlids of the Lake Victoria basin. Virtually all of the cichlids from this region are at some risk and I’ve acquired a few species that are reported to be extinct in their natural habitat. I felt that after so many years in the hobby, I should devote a tank or two to endangered species. Well, one tank turned into 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 . . . you know the story.

Mike ACA 2017.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Further details listed in a 'Members Section' thread, but Josh Wiegert JLW JLW will be our election officiant again this year,so contact him directly via email if you'd like to nominate yourself or someone else.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Thank you Josh JLW JLW for being our election official! Send emails to batfishaquatics @ gmail.com

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
chriscoli chriscoli do you have any multipunctatus that you would sell?

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Ok well just let me know. I just killed 2 of my brand new little guys that I picked up from Mike this past weekend:( No more water changes without the hot water open