• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Colomesus Asellus

Becca

Members
JLW JLW

I have a gaggle of them that I got from Batfish Aquatics. They are effing awesome. Keep in mind, you will need to learn to anesthetize them and trim teeth. They do eat snails, but can be lazy about actually crunching through the shell to get to them. I can teach you sometime, or you can check out some of the "small puffer dentistry" tutorials.

When you QT them, assume they have ich and hike up the temperature/treat them for ich. They almost always have it whether you see it or not, since they are super susceptible.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Thanks Becca Becca from the research I been doing these are pretty much the only species that will do okay in a community tank. Ive never had to deal with ich though :eek:

Becca

Members
Thanks Becca Becca from the research I been doing these are pretty much the only species that will do okay in a community tank. Ive never had to deal with ich though :eek:

Yeah, they're not little a**holes like pea puffers. I have one of these - https://www.fishbase.de/summary/Colomesus-psittacus.html - that came as a contaminant with a group of C. asellus I ordered. So far he's just as benign as the others, but he's still only about 1.5" long.

I've kept them with rainbows, Discus, catfish, tetras, etc. Never had a problem.