• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heating large tanks

Becca

Members
Ok... so my husband has a 210 gallon that we'd like to keep consistently warmer. It's run on an FX5 and FX6 and, when seasons change, we often end up having to add or subtract heaters, adjust temperatures, etc.

How have others handled heating large tanks? Obviously we need multiple heaters (we do have multiple very large heaters). I've contemplated adding controllers, but, with the wattage we'd be looking at, I'd be dealing with multiple controllers which might cause some of the same issues we're experiencing with multiple heaters anyway (temp settings being inconsistent, some working over-time while others turn off, etc).

Thoughts? I want to know what others have done.

FishEggs

For my 220gal I use an 800 watt titanium heater on a 1000 watt controller. The temp sensor is next to the intake for the filter in the middle of the tank and heater is off to the left side of the tank. Keeps the tank at 75 all year long and so far I havent had any issues.

Becca

Members
For my 220gal I use an 800 watt titanium heater on a 1000 watt controller. The temp sensor is next to the intake for the filter in the middle of the tank and heater is off to the left side of the tank. Keeps the tank at 75 all year long and so far I havent had any issues.
Which ones/which brands?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You know those frying pans with the dial and electric plug at the end of the handle. Well, they can serve as a heater for other things besides steak and eggs or bacon. A friend in Oklahoma had a 1000 gallon tank, and he heated it with one of these electric frying pans. He clamped the handle above the water line with the pan part below the water line. He could dial in the temperature using a thermometer on the other side of the tank.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Most of the heat on my 180 is done through the light fixture and a canopy. I've found that I can keep the tank relatively stable in the mid 70s with only a 300w heater.

mchambers

Former CCA member
You know those frying pans with the dial and electric plug at the end of the handle. Well, they can serve as a heater for other things besides steak and eggs or bacon. A friend in Oklahoma had a 1000 gallon tank, and he heated it with one of these electric frying pans. He clamped the handle above the water line with the pan part below the water line. He could dial in the temperature using a thermometer on the other side of the tank.
Which brand of frying pan should Becca use? Should it be Teflon-coated?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I believe it was a really big one. I think it was aluminum or an alloy which looked like aluminum, the bottom had ribs where the wires were in circles. Westinghouse sticks in my mind, but it could have been GE or Sunbeam or maybe a Harry Potter version, as in magic or is that magnetic induction.

FishEggs

Just toss one of them old electric hot plates in there.

I'm using the Finnex th-0800s plus with an Inkbird c206 controller.

FishEggs

i have a 4 bulb 54w t5ho light fixture that i put together over my 220 and even though i have it 10 inches above the water it keeps the temp 4 degrees above room temp. It is in a mostly closed off canopy though.

JLW

CCA Members
For very large tanks, electric often can't do it. I have a friend of a friend in Oklahoma who has a system of Bunsen burners lined up beneath the tank, with automatic starters and solenoids. When the temperature drops too low, the solenoids open and the burners heat the entire tank. The one downside is that the stupid clicky things don't always go off, and he has occasional gas explosions, but in your house, who'd notice?

Becca

Members
For very large tanks, electric often can't do it. I have a friend of a friend in Oklahoma who has a system of Bunsen burners lined up beneath the tank, with automatic starters and solenoids. When the temperature drops too low, the solenoids open and the burners heat the entire tank. The one downside is that the stupid clicky things don't always go off, and he has occasional gas explosions, but in your house, who'd notice?
A gas explosion might improve the condition of my home.

bossanova

Members
My 120 can vary as much as 3+ degrees from one corner to the other. Has plenty of circulation, but I’m getting an in-line 300W Hydor for it

JLW

CCA Members
Hey, I know this is a little more money, but I feel it would do a better job:

goo.gl/95rB2S