• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Similis Shell Dwellers Started Breeding

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I was sitting watching my fish tank and noticed a lot of little things moving near a shell. I thought maybe some food got stuck in the current or something and went to investigate and found that I actually have fry in the tank! I will try to get some better photos but needless to say I am super excited to see how these little guys do!

AuyWPzN.jpg

arNbPTR.jpg

DrEgg

Chairpersons
Staff member
I was sitting watching my fish tank and noticed a lot of little things moving near a shell. I thought maybe some food got stuck in the current or something and went to investigate and found that I actually have fry in the tank! I will try to get some better photos but needless to say I am super excited to see how these little guys do!

AuyWPzN.jpg

arNbPTR.jpg
Hi,

I am setting up a shell dwellers tank. Would you be will

AuyWPzN.jpg

arNbPTR.jpg
Hi,

I am setting up a shell dwellers tank. Would you be willing to share or could I buy Some fry?

Thanks
Eggerton

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Hi,

I am setting up a shell dwellers tank. Would you be will

Hi,

I am setting up a shell dwellers tank. Would you be willing to share or could I buy Some fry?

Thanks
Eggerton
As soon as they are large enough they will need to find a new home. There is one person ahead of you but I would be more then happy to get you started. Please Message me so that I do not forget and let me know how many you wanted and once they are ready I will let you know so that you can get them.

DrEgg

Chairpersons
Staff member
As soon as they are large enough they will need to find a new home. There is one person ahead of you but I would be more then happy to get you started. Please Message me so that I do not forget and let me know how many you wanted and once they are ready I will let you know so that you can get them.

Thanks so much for your kindness. I am learning so much about cichlids from this group. If you have enough, I would appreciate if I could get 4-5 fry. I think that should be enough to get me started. My email address is 4dregg@gmail.com. Thanks Again! Eggerton

DrEgg

Chairpersons
Staff member
Hi,
Hope that you are enjoying the summer. How are the Similis fry doing? Hopefully well...... was wondering if you think that I could get 2-3 at the August CCA Barbeque ?
No worries if the timing does not work for you.

Eggerton

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I will actually be at the Beach for my wife's Birthday this weekend. The fry are growing fast but are still pretty young and not even .25" long but as soon as they are old enough to be moved I will definitely reach out. I am not sure how long this usually takes but I would imagine it would be another month or two. Here is the most recent video I have from 2 days ago or so and you can see how small they are considering my Similis are not yet fully grown.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
The video looks great. Thanks for the update!!
Thanks and anytime! I am debating setting up a small grow out tank with PVC piping instead of shells so they are easier to catch and feed but that may have to be for future fry. I will keep you updated so that I can give you a more
Love these fish. If they keep going, put me on the list after Dr Egg.
Sure thing! I have 3 other females and it does not seem like they are as common in DMV area as they are in other places so I am hoping they all start breeding so I can start spreading them around a bit.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Sure thing! I have 3 other females and it does not seem like they are as common in DMV area as they are in other places so I am hoping they all start breeding so I can start spreading them around a bit.

True. They aren’t available most places around here. My experienced suggestion? Keep a fish or two from each hatch, that way you get a nice sized colony going and have fresh young breeding stock. If you sell off all the young fish every time and your old ones pass on, you lose the colony.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
True. They aren’t available most places around here. My experienced suggestion? Keep a fish or two from each hatch, that way you get a nice sized colony going and have fresh young breeding stock. If you sell off all the young fish every time and your old ones pass on, you lose the colony.
That's a great idea. Currently I have 4 Males/4 Females so I would like to see if I can determine the gender of the fry before removing any as well as removing 1-2 of the older Males. While I do not currently have any aggression issues I would prefer to have 1 Male for at least 2 Females so it will be a balancing act. I have also been looking for another source to add some new genetics and keep the line healthy but after my last experience of ordering Similis and receiving Multis I am kinda scared to order anything online.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
That's a great idea. Currently I have 4 Males/4 Females so I would like to see if I can determine the gender of the fry before removing any as well as removing 1-2 of the older Males. While I do not currently have any aggression issues I would prefer to have 1 Male for at least 2 Females so it will be a balancing act. I have also been looking for another source to add some new genetics and keep the line healthy but after my last experience of ordering Similis and receiving Multis I am kinda scared to order anything online.

Yup. I get it. It's always a good idea to build your stock before selling them off. And now that you have good Similis breeding, I'd just let the colony grow for a few cycles until you have a good mix and then start removing the fish you have in excess. For example, if after 4 batches of fry you have 12 males and 16 females, you could sell 6 males and 4 females and have 6 males to 12 females for your colony, keeping a mix of young and old.