• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can different Shell Dwellers be housed together?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Hi! I just moved to the DC area and this is my first post on the forum. I currently keep multis, have kept brevis in the past, and am now interested in starting a similis tank. Is there any way I could buy some of your similis fry from you when they become available? I didn't have any luck finding them at the Big Fish Deal this weekend; actually, I was told they're fairly hard to come by.

Glad to see you posting. Welcome! As for Similis, they ARE hard to come by and I’ve been told by several fish providers that they would be in the $20-30 dollar per fish range. It would be great to have someone in the club breeding them consistently. I think several are trying at the moment. Good luck!

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Hi! I just moved to the DC area and this is my first post on the forum. I currently keep multis, have kept brevis in the past, and am now interested in starting a similis tank. Is there any way I could buy some of your similis fry from you when they become available? I didn't have any luck finding them at the Big Fish Deal this weekend; actually, I was told they're fairly hard to come by.
The Similis may be a few months because they came in super small and yes, for me at least, they were extremely hard to find so I feel your pain! As soon as they start breeding I will definitely let you know and you are more then welcome to any fry. From what I hear once the reach sexual maturity they breed like rabbits so fingers crossed! I am trying to find 4-6 more to add with the 4 I already have to ensure I get a nice colony going so if I am able to order any before mine breed I can also order a few extras if you want them.

Chandler

CCA Members
Glad to see you posting. Welcome! As for Similis, they ARE hard to come by and I’ve been told by several fish providers that they would be in the $20-30 dollar per fish range. It would be great to have someone in the club breeding them consistently. I think several are trying at the moment. Good luck!

Thank you! It was nice meeting you this weekend.

Chandler

CCA Members
The Similis may be a few months because they came in super small and yes, for me at least, they were extremely hard to find so I feel your pain! As soon as they start breeding I will definitely let you know and you are more then welcome to any fry. From what I hear once the reach sexual maturity they breed like rabbits so fingers crossed! I am trying to find 4-6 more to add with the 4 I already have to ensure I get a nice colony going so if I am able to order any before mine breed I can also order a few extras if you want them.

I appreciate the offer. I'd be grateful if you kept me in mind when yours have fry or if you find a way to order more. Please keep in touch, and maybe I'll see you at a meeting!

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I appreciate the offer. I'd be grateful if you kept me in mind when yours have fry or if you find a way to order more. Please keep in touch, and maybe I'll see you at a meeting!
I found a place that has some and I am going to order a few more. Shipping is the same regardless of ordering 6 or 12 so if you get this in time let me know if you want any and I will add them to my order. The guy wants $12 a piece for them and I will cover the shipping then you can pay me when you pick them up. Just let me know.

Chandler

CCA Members
I found a place that has some and I am going to order a few more. Shipping is the same regardless of ordering 6 or 12 so if you get this in time let me know if you want any and I will add them to my order. The guy wants $12 a piece for them and I will cover the shipping then you can pay me when you pick them up. Just let me know.

Yes, please! Thanks so much. Are they sexed? I'm really looking for 1 male and 2 females, but if they're unsexed and/or juveniles, it would be great to get 6 and hope for the best. I'm not sure how to give you my contact information to arrange to pick them up. Just let me know.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Not sexed, they are only .75" so I will place the order tomorrow and will let you know when they are scheduled to arrive. The first (4) that I ordered (different breeder) worked out quite well as I have at the very least 2 males and 2 females but once they get a bit older if you wind up with a bad ratio we can always trade or at that point my first (4) should be spawning and I will be able to sex them so we can work something out to ensure we both benefit. I will message you tomorrow as soon as I have some more concrete information like a confirmation number etc. Glad I remembered this post and got your message in time :D -

Chandler

CCA Members
Not sexed, they are only .75" so I will place the order tomorrow and will let you know when they are scheduled to arrive. The first (4) that I ordered (different breeder) worked out quite well as I have at the very least 2 males and 2 females but once they get a bit older if you wind up with a bad ratio we can always trade or at that point my first (4) should be spawning and I will be able to sex them so we can work something out to ensure we both benefit. I will message you tomorrow as soon as I have some more concrete information like a confirmation number etc. Glad I remembered this post and got your message in time :D -

Awesome! Thanks again.

Chandler

CCA Members
Bad News (For Me Anyway) - I have to go to Quebec for work and am leaving Friday and they wouldn't be here before I leave but the site is http://www.quinnsfins.com/Lake-Tanganyika_c_12.html and all the reviews I saw have been great. I will be ordering some next Wednesday when I get back if they still have any but I wanted to make sure you have a chance.

Okay, thanks for the info. Do you want me to order some for you now, and then you can pick them up from me when you get back? Happy to help if I can.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I definitely appreciate the offer but for now it may be best to just order yourself some (I am seriously worried about my Wife keeping my fish alive while I am gone ;) ) and if/when yours and mine spawn I would definitely be up for trading some fry to get some new blood.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Okay, thanks for the info. Do you want me to order some for you now, and then you can pick them up from me when you get back? Happy to help if I can.
If you did not Order them yet please do not order yet! I ordered 4 just to check them out and they are Multi's they are not Similis as listed on the site. They arrived healthy and packaged well I just contacted the seller and am waiting for a response but am now on the way to the airport. I am unsure if this is just a mixup and how this will be handled but there is an extremely noticeable difference between the Similis I have and the Multis that I received this morning. I am hoping that if you have not ordered yet you wait and see and if you did that they just messed up my order because I now have 4 Multis that I did not want and could not place them with the Similis so they are now in an aquarium with the Brevis and I do not know how that will work while I am gone. I should have asked for a photo first and the timing is so terrible. Once I land I will post back with any information and I guess if anyone wants some Multis I will have them because I am not sure how I would even ship them back to Florida to get the correct fish. I am so sorry if you did order and do not get the right fish, I am also sorry if this is a jumbled mess but with everything else going on I just wanted to update you before you make a potentially costly mistake. Livefishdirect is so far the only online retailer that I was actually able to purchase similis from. UGH! Frustrated is an understatement.